Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey D's BBQ Des Moines, IA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey D's BBQ Des Moines, IA

Has anyone been here. The owner has won 3 Grand Championships at the KC Royal and Meathead has a chicken recipe from him. That is what interested me. Our cabin is only a couple of hours from his 3 restaurants so thought we might drive up there in September.

It's good but not great. The quantity they turn out is impressive, with a huge dining room at the main location. I typically go for the burnt ends, and the potato casserole is excellent. As with any restaurant the food they serve the customers is nothing like what the pitmaster cooks for competions.

Comment

Alas, I have not been there yet, but I have hung out with Darrel and Sherry at competitions. He is absolutely the single best competition cook I have ever seen and having tasted all four of his KCBS meats more than once, I can only say he is brilliant. I have NEVER mad ribs or brisket that good. Of course they don't do things that way in the resto, but my guess is that they have it dialed in.

Comment

Please remember General Discussion channel is for anything OFF the topic of food, cooking, cookers, and associated topics. There's a channel for BBQ Restaurants.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Where, I looked every where before posting in the General Discussion?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker the channel we're now in

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol

I was there a couple years ago and liked it. The burnt ends were good and I enjoyed the sausage. Noone left hungry or unhappy. It was the halfway point between where I was and my dad so a couple hour drive got me a free lunch and he got to meet his granddaughter for the first time.

Comment

We have family living in DSM, we have eaten there and the food was great. They do get VERY busy at peak times. Will go back again.

Comment

It is hard to have a great bbq restaurant, day in and day out. The food has to be ready almost like fast food. I have been there and think they do a good job. You wouldn't stand outside for 4 hours first though, like Franklin's.

Comment

It is solid BBQ. The sides are good, I love the mac & cheese and the potato casserole with my two meat combo, which is burnt ends and sausage. Wife always gets some cole slaw and potato cass with her 1/2 rack combo and the ribs are almost always perfect. Moist and pull off the bone, but never fall off. Great color to the ribs and the rest of the meat. You order at the counter and then find a seat somewhere, it's always busy and they bring out your food in 5-10 minutes. Had one meal that didn't meet my expectations there, but it was an off day in my opinion. Because this is the place I choose for BBQ in the Des Moines area and so do a lot of other people. Seriously, it's definitely one of the busiest places I've ever seen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here