Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey D's (Des Moines)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BruceB
    replied
    I am soooo disappointed, and pretty mystified. I've only been here a couple of years, but I don't think I would have missed a 'Q place in Des Moines - it's a fairly small town.

Alas, not the correct Des Moines. I'm crushed. Now I know why my packages take so long - UPS and USPS are cornfuzed also.

Leave a comment:

• OmahaVike
    started a topic Smokey D's (Des Moines)

Smokey D's (Des Moines)

Over the weekend, had a chance to stop into Smokey D's (location on north side of DM), and can sincerely say that I was blown away by the primetime meats, but a little disappointed in accessories.

First of all, these guys have won all kinds of trophies. So many, in fact, that they were all sitting on the floor in the hallway going back to the bathrooms. Think they may have run out of room to store them. Secondly, I've been to it's main DM competitor (one with multiple locations, and has been on some network television shows), and I'd have to say that this beats them hands down.

Ordered:
    Appetizer of cheese curds
    Appetizer of lb of chicken wings (buffalo flavor)
    BBQ Sampler Platter: chopped pork, burnt ends, ribs, brisket

Cheese curds: Disappointing. Not much different than frozen cheese balls as served by other restaurants. Expected something a little more special. But, taking it in stride, this isn't the focus of this restaurant, so let it slide.

Wings: Very good. Couldn't taste any smoke on them, but the rub was very flavorful. No heat flavor on these, though. That was a let down. Again, taking it in stride.

Sampler platter: Everything here was probably the best BBQ I've had in Iowa. Again, it was a little too light on the smoke flavor for me, but the brisket was tender and juicy (not dry, and roast beef-ish). Pork was a little dry, but not too bad. Ribs were outstanding, plenty of meat on the bones and super juicy. IMPRESSIVE PULL off the bone -- just enough, but not sloppy at all. Burnt ends were probably my favorite, and would definitely get that again, no questions about it. In and of itself, the main course of meats was exceptional, especially considering that it's restaurant mass-quantity service. Bravo!

Sauces: Four flavors were available at the table, and I only tried the hot and super hot. Neither of which had any kind of heat to it. Good flavor, but no heat. I was looking for a good fire, but didn't find it in either of these. Really wasn't a disappointment, because I preferred the meal without any of the sauce... and THAT is the sign of good BBQ.

Wish I Would Have: Ordered the nachos. I watched a few servings come out of the kitchen, and they are probably the best looking nachos I've seen in my life, and I'm a huge nacho fan. So good, in fact, that I wanted to take pictures. Next time I'm rolling through DM with the wife, we're stopping for this.

So far, this is my favorite Cue in Iowa.
    Last edited by OmahaVike; October 20, 2015, 11:12 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here