Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We’re going to be in the Chicagoland area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re going to be in the Chicagoland area

We will be visiting my family in Chicago, and Mrs’ family in South Bend, staying in New Buffalo, MI kinda halfway between. In May.

I want to eat beef sangwiches, and Chicago style hot dogs, and of course aquarium bbq, and maybe eat at Smoque? Might catch the White Sox/Pirates that week, I dunno. Play that one by ear.

Where MUST we eat? No budget, I’ve eaten great meals for cheap and horrible meals for expensive, and vice versa. Anywhere from Chi to SB.

Only restaurant I can remember from being in Chicago in the past was deep dish stuffed pizza at Giordano's... being a Georgia boy, I was amazed at a pizza so full of awesome meaty goodness that I could barely finish 2 slices of. At the time I was in my 20's and could easily finish a large Domino's pizza (or two) by myself!

Comment

Gino's East for pizza. And being a former Chi-town boy from the south side, I love my Sox. BUT you also need to try and make it to a Cubs game at Wrigley...

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Been to several games at Wrigley. Sat behind a pole for one. Nice to say I've been there, but give me PNC Park in Pittsburgh over anywhere else.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        They have really improved Wrigley in the last couple of years. I mean it was really a dump, but it reeks with so much tradition, like Fenway, and is worth the experience. Glad you had a chance to go !!!

Portillo's Hot dogs. https://www.portillos.com/index.html Chicago chain that has beef sandwiches and awesome hotdogs. They have lots of locations now including one in south bend. They have 2 in southern California now for when the craving hits.

Comment

• Greasy
        Greasy commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the fact they have one in Buena Park. Easier to get to there than Chicago for me.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be honest, those iconic hot dog stands that seem to be everywhere are my favorite. Gotta be Vienna all-beef. Gotta have a mound of hot fries. Gotta have it rolled in newspaper. Best ever cure for a hangover !!!

Get a breaded steak sandwich at Ricobenes!! Sounds kind of weird but it's awesome.

Comment

For higher end, you have to do Frontera Grill. It's a bit of a hassle, but worth doing. Failing that, Bayless has a couple places in the West Loop that might take reservations or be easier to get in to... Lena Brava might be to your interest, as it's a live fire restaurant.

Portillos, with some chocolate cake.
        Al's #1 Beef.
        From the deep dish, in no particular order: Pequod, Giordano's, Geno's East, Lou Malnati's or Uno/Due downtown. They all have their pluses and their fans. I'm a Pequod partisan, but I'm not from here originally.

Maple and Ash or Boeufhaus are supposed to be good for steakhouse, if you're down for that.

I don't have a recommendation for an aquarium smoker place. Smoque is pretty good. My favorite northside BBQ has changed names and owners, so I can't say if it's still good or not. Lilly Q is supposed to be good. They had a fire the time we tried to go, so I've never been.

Comment

If you want a spaghettios tasting pizza then Gino’s East (gross). If you want great pizza, go to pequods pizza in Lincoln Park. Beef sandwiches and hot dogs, definitely Portillos. Personally I like Chicago Q BBQ in the Gold Coast. However, it is a bit upscale but great food and excellent selection on bourbon, including a hand picked barrel of Angels Envy.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I'll take all the Gino's you want to give me. BUT Pequod and Malnati's are high on my list for sure.

I don’t know nothing about those areas. Just want to say have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Comment

We've been to Lou Malnati's, and we've had the thin crust pizza cut into squares but I don't recall where. Enjoyed both. I ate at Uno back in the '80s and liked it very much. Even though things try to stay the same, they change, though. (And don't eat at chain Unos, they are awful.)

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip Mosca . Be sure to report back to us with your own results.

Comment

Smoque is Mh's favorite Chicagoland BBQ joint, if I recall correctly. Wife & I were going to meet him there last year but my plans changed. Too bad you're not making it a few hrs NE, you'd get your choice of meat & beverage up my way. Safe travels...

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We'll be staying in New Buffalo Sunday and Monday nights....

I swear I ate piza at a place called Mothers in the 80's but google appears to think it's a night club.....so, pass! (who knows, maybe it's a bad CRS day....)

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, try Dick's Last Resort--maybe for lunch. Decent food, crazy vibe/schtick (adult!), usually a good live blues band and it's right on the waterfront. Haven't been in 20 + years, so I hope it hasn't changed, cuz it was a hoot. Maybe some Chicagoans can chip in here.

I've been to a Dick's in San Antone and, a long time ago, the one in San Diego. Neither came close to the Chi Town experience.
                  Last edited by Willy; March 21, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Last July, I was in Chicago and had the best Italian beef sandwich at the Cubs game from Buona.

Comment

When I was working in the area, I used to frequent Hog Wild in Midlothian (a burb on the south side, just off I294). Top notch boneless pork chop and ribs. I wasn't into beef at the time, but they have it. Cash only. Busy, but really fast service. Order at counter, they bring to your table. Highly recommend it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here