Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good article about Chicago BBQ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good article about Chicago BBQ.

I wouldn't mind reading comments from those who live there. My sister lives there, but they never talk BBQ.

Chicago Is a City Divided By Barbecue

If I’m ever in Chicago I’d like to try some of that bbq. I don’t think I’d attempt the drive though due to it being extremely dangerous and life threatening I’m guessing.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah......Chicago is a great city. There are rough areas but it is still a great city.

That is a great article. I would like to hear Dr. Blonder's take on "tempering the wood's heat." I would think that would cause some bitter steam, but they must be doing something right. I love Chicago BBQ.

Some of the best ribs I have ever had was at Twin Anchors. Wonderful atmosphere and great food!

Comment

I’m originally from the Southside of Chitown. Most of what is written about in the article is inner city that evolved through innovation and what they have on hand. It’s like finding an old pit master in rural Mississippi who smokes the best pork butt you’ve ever tasted on some old oil barrel pit. It’s a totally different experience then the trendy Northside where bbq has been imported and not evolved.

And yes Chicago is one of the greatest American cities. If you haven’t been you got to go. Just wait until June

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        (Fist bump)

Chicago is a city of neighborhoods and neighborhoods within neighborhoods. There is at least one BBQ restaurant in probably every neighborhood and sub neighborhood. This means there are at least a few hundred BBQ joints in the city alone. Countless more in the suburbs.

Most of these places are small and family owned and many do not even have names. Many are serving their local communities out of store front windows or from oil drum smokers in the front yard. Many are off the beat and path and sometimes in the middle of residential blocks. Most are not open every day. When they are word goes around fast. You can smell it from far away. When you get closer there will be a line of people including cops and firemen waiting patiently for their
      styrofoam box of BBQ goodness.

They start with a batch early in the morning and when it's gone it's gone until next time.

I have had the honor of working in a large percentage of different areas of the city and have been lucky enough to sample much local underground BBQ fare. Every operator has a story along with a great sense of humor.

It is sad that a recent wave of violence in the city has probably shut down many of these hard working proprietors.

Over all Chicago has great local culture and lot great neighborhood food. If you look hard enough it is amazing what you can find.

P.S. My favorite of the local BBQ joints was located on the West Side in the middle of an urban block owned by a guy named Charlie. Charlie always wore a yellow hardhat and surely had a unique personality.

It was called the "Sometimes Shop" because it had a sign on the smoker that said, "Open Tomorrow"
      It consisted of a large oil drum smoker welded to a wrought iron fence. Behind it was a garden level office type window where you paid. Then you got in line and waited quietly until you got your box of tips and links. Next door was a lady who sold snow cones for a buck.

Sadly some years ago Charlie passed and his oil drum smoker was dismantled by scrappers.

Comment

I’ve never been to Chicago. Lots of friends from there so maybe I’ll get to go sometime. It’s a great foodie haven and of course a great baseball town. I’m a Cardinal fan so I’d love to catch a Cards cubs game at Wrigley.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the great rivalries in baseball. Wrigley is basically a museum to our past time. Really a cool experience. And they still have troughs in the men's room.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The whole NL Central has turned into a round robin of rivalries: Pirates/Cards/Cubs/Brewers/Reds, pair any two and you have a blood feud!

We’ve been to Chicago many times, my sister and her husband live in Wood Dale. But they always take us to pizza places and steak houses (sob). And of course they are all great. Or they cook: John does a mean tri-tip.

Back in the ‘70s I lived in South Bend, about 90 miles from Chi. I ate rib tips many times at Frankie’s, which is still there. We’ve visited South Bend several times recently, but the people we were with weren’t interested in Frankie’s, we went to a place called Wheatberry’s, in Buchanan MI. In that respect, I think we lived the article. We bypassed an older place for a newer, craft beery place that was still pretty good. Our friends, who were local, made the recommendation, and we went along.

Comment

Interesting read thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here