Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a BBQ place in Morris Il.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a BBQ place in Morris Il.

My son and I were deer hunting last weekend and decided to take a break from the field and go to lunch. He found a BBQ place on his phone, and we decided to give it a try. The place is called Strum's BBQ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231118_120316.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1510495

They lease space from a bar so you can also have a beverage with your meal. When we pulled up, I saw this.
    This looks promising. The hours of operation on the door added "or until sold out" Another good sign of quality in my opinion

Name:	20231118_120306.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1510497

Name:	20231118_120313.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1510489

Oh yeah!

Name:	20231118_125138.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1510491

A 1000-gallon reverse flow

Name:	20231118_125319.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1510498

Name:	20231118_125128.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1510490

We decide to do a sampling

Name:	20231118_120549.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1510493

They will serve just meat in approximately 8 oz. portions, so we decided to try the brisket, pork, and chicken. along with beans, loaded potato salad, and a Texas Twinkie, as I've never had one before. Sorry for the following pics but we were too busy eating.

Name:	20231118_122505.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1510492

Name:	20231118_122502.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1510494

The pitmaster doesn't believe in over seasoning the meat with rub. Oak is used for everything, and he lets the smoke flavor season the meat. The Texas Twinkie was awesome! A large jalapeño stuffed with cheese and wrapped with crispy bacon that's been smoked for 2 hrs. The beans were simple, not sweet, but with a touch of jalapeño. Very craveable. In my opinion, the potato salad could have a little more "loaded" but it was still good. Two sauces were brought to the table. One was a traditional sweet. The other was sweet with some jalapeño added. The brisket is served in its' own juice. The staff was friendly and helpful. The owner/pitmaster was also very friendly and more than happy to give us a tour of his outside cook area as you saw from the pictures. We had a long discussion with him on how he runs his smoker, why he does things like he does in relation to productivity and to maintain quality food. I would highly recommend place. I'll be back.
    Attached Files

Ya had me at the cookers! That is some serious business there. Everything including yer write up is top notch. Gracias man!

Comment

Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those smokers! Yeah, that place looks like it puts out some serious Q…….thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks, looks like a good place to stop during my annual trip to Springfield.

Comment

My kinda place, looked it up on the map, it south west of Chi town, little to far from me. good find. Your pic's were great.

Comment

I have a few accounts in Morris so I’m there fairly regularly for work. Will have to check them out next time I’m there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here