Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17th Street Bar and Grill, Murphysboro, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17th Street Bar and Grill, Murphysboro, IL

Eaten barbecue everywhere I go in Illinois, and so far this Murphysboro restaurant is the one I would put up against the best barbecue you're gonna get elsewhere. Perfectly cooked ribs, perfectly complemented by the smoke of apple wood.

This place is off the beaten path but worth taking the time to check out. Nice little bar in a small town. I suspect a lot of us can make barbecue that rivals pretty much any place in the country, but this resturant, and Mills' other location in Marion, IL right off I-57 are as good as it gets. I think sides are really important and often neglected at BBQ spots and they are really good here.
    My go to meal is the hot links with double fried okra. Pulled pork great also.

Comment

Mike and his daughter rock it. I go to the one in Marion every time I visit IL. The food is awesome, everything I have had is. The staff is fabulous. If you only eat BBQ on the road once, this is the place to get it from.

Comment

My wife and I just visited 17th Street and it was awesome. First off I can't say enough about the team there. Everyone was welcoming, smiling, and having a good time. How a service team acts and interacts is extremely important IMHO and they were awesome.

We visited on a Sunday when they do the whole hog spread. The hog looked amazing and tasted even better. We started off with the sampler platter for appetizers and I have to say the fried pickles and the chicken wings are absolutely delicious! They also have a house dipping sauce that I would have just ate of bowl of with a spoon if it was an option... it was good with everything on the sampler platter.

For our entrees my wife ordered the Blue Ribbon Pick Three and she decided on BB Ribs, Turkey, and Sausage... she got the collards and applesauce for her sides. She loved the turkey and said it would be great on a sandwich, she very much enjoyed the ribs, she liked the sausage but thought it had a bit of a bite to it.

I ordered the Blue Ribbon Grand Champion Plate which is pretty much a try of all the meats. Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, Turkey, and Sausage. I got Mac'n'Cheese and the Baked Beans for my sides. The meat was all great! The sides were delicious as well. In addition to some sweet tea I had their new 17th Street Smoked Amber Ale to wash it down with. Pretty good beer.

They brought me out a dessert since it was my birthday. It was their brownie dessert and wow it was delicious.

No way we could eat all of the food there but we ordered as much as we did to get to try a bit of everything we could. We ended up bring home a good bit which will make for some nice lunches later this week.

We also ordered a bag of Pork Rinds to take home with us. My wife absolutely loved them. She said they were just right and perfect.

On a side note I got to spend a good little bit of time with Mike and Amy Mills and will make a separate thread about that later as to not hijack this one... Point though is if you are there and Mike is around he loves to talk to folks and he will talk to you like he has known you for years. Great Salt of the Earth people!

If you are in the area it is definitely worth a visit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	266732

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	266734

Name:	IMG_0898.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	266736

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	266737

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	266733
        Attached Files

Comment

I will definitely check it out when I go south.

Comment

I am friends with Mike. If you see him tell him you're a member and I said hello!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here