Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaiian BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaiian BBQ

We will be heading to the airport this morning for a flight to Maui. Will have a couple of weeks there and would like to spend some of that time sampling Hawaiian BBQ. Just thought I'd toss it our here for discussion to see if anyone has a recommendation on where to consider. I checked the BBQ Joints forum but nothing listed for Hawaii.

There is Momma’s in Lahaina. It is not Franklins but it can be decent. For a more varied experience try Tin Roof in Kahului. Walk in place but really decent food. Sheldon Simeon has opened Lineage in Kihei which is winning all the awards right now. For breakfast or lunch try Leoda’s Kitchen near Launiupoko. (Area near Lahaina.) We eat there often since it is close to our house. Star Noodle isn’t what it use to be IMHO but we still like it. Enjoy your trip.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter says Smoke and Spice Maui
      in Kihei as a good place for BBQ.

• Bighorn Dave
      Bighorn Dave commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tips. Not sure we can get them all but will try a few at the very least. Will be staying in Kehei so will certainly get to those mentioned in that area. I think a trip to Lahaina is on tap also so if timed right maybe even get a taste of Momma's offerings.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh. Gonna have to bookmark this. We will be in Maui for Christmas.

Not BBQ but be sure to get a Loco Moco for breakfast.
    Last edited by Old Glory; January 9, 2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Or Loco Moco. Moco Loco would have the rice on top!

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      ScottyC13 ha ha yes I need to remember not to post before coffee

As if you'd expect anything else from me? https://chickeninabarrel.com/

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I was trying to think of that place after reading about it, and you beat me to it.

Just smoke some Spam and you are all set.

Comment

Chicken in a Barrel is awesome! Great stuff.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4794.JPG.jpeg
Views:	484
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	788989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4795.JPG.jpeg
Views:	490
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	788988

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately it is a long swim from Maui to any of their locations. ☹️ (Unless they opened one in the last month or so.)

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am always in for a good ocean swim. Donw

• Bighorn Dave
        Bighorn Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be game to give it a try but as far as I can tell from google searches Maui does not have one. I like chicken but I'm not a strong swimmer and to dang cheap to pay the fee to fly to another island just for a day trip and food sampling. After yesterdays flight into Maui I don't know if I can get the wife on a plane to head home in couple weeks. It was rough as can be. Even the pilot commented on the turbulence.

In his tongue and cheek way, RonB hit the nail on the head. They've elevated Spam to a new level and think of it as their bbq....

Been to the islands twice, Honolulu and Maui and don't remember anything that resembled bbq although I wasn't really looking. I do remember Bob's in Honolulu but it wasn't very good to be honest. Best to find a good pig roast, that's something worth the effort. They do roast pig well.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have also elevated SPAM to think of it as its own food group and national treasure. "You don't speak Japanese, do you? You can thank SPAM for that."
        LOL.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I get SPAM Musubi cravings every now and again.

Just look for the roadside spots serving up Huli Huli chicken! I’ve had a few friends find these and said it was great!

My my buddy was driving along last year and remembered I told him to try Huli Huli chicken. He saw a cardboard sign for someone selling it, pulled over and said it was one of his favorite meals of his trip!

Comment

We just Honeymooned in Maui in September. It was our second time, absolutely love it there! I highly, highly recommend the Feast at Lele if looking for a Luau. Best Kalua Pork we had by a long shot. A lot of people recommend the Old Lahaina Luau as well. We tried the Kalua Pork at the restaurant attached to OLL, called Aloha Mixed Plate, and the pork wasn't nearly as good as the Feast. Outside of that, you may find some korean bbq joints. If you travel to Hana, there is a legitimate barbeque pit master on the left just before you hit Hana. Hope you have a great time, friend!

Off-topic, but just have to mention, if you get a chance to eat at The Mill House in Wailuku, please do! By far our favorite restaurant we ate at on the island, and sadly we didn't discover it until our trip to the airport this most recent time there. Nestled in the mountains, beautiful change of scenery from the beach dining. Can't recommend it enough!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	The Mill House.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	789049

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          "Second" honeymoon!?! What are trying to do to us?

• Ground Chuck
          Ground Chuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha! Poor wording on my part. Second trip to Maui, only one Honeymoon! Hopefully my last

I texted some Kihei residents I know this morning my time and since it is now morning there I got two replies so far. I know they aren’t BBQ places but I will pass them on for some other options.

”Hi! Yes, absolutely. Kihei Cafe is a great place to eat breakfast - very very casual and don’t let the line scare them as it moves very quickly. Paia Fish market (locations on Paia, Kihei, and Lahaina) or Coconuts Cafe are both great options for a fresh fish lunch, and for a nice dinner I recommend Ka’ana Kitchen at the Andaz resort in Wailea - a culinary experience.”

”A must do to have some fresh island Ahi Poke - they can pick some up at Safeway or Foodland deli’s, however Tamura’s is the best. 1/2 lb is a good portion.”

Comment

• Bighorn Dave
          Bighorn Dave commented
          Editing a comment
          We are not getting around to as many places as we thought possible. Kihei Caffe and coconuts cafe we did manage to get to. Pretty good on both counts. We did find a little hole in the wall deli that is pretty dang good albeit not BBQ (808 Deli). Sister and BIL are here as is normal for them this time of year every year so have been sharing their ideas. Frankly our tastes vary and haven't been wowed by any of those places yet.

Another great place (albeit not BBQ) is the Hali'imaile General Store in Makawao: https://hgsmaui.com/

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Good suggestion!

I wouldn't bother with finding traditional bbq places, I'd dive into the little places doing Huli Huli chicken, places doing shoyu pulled pork etc. And poke, if you're alright with raw fish.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! Steer clear of so-called "traditional" BBQ (whatever that is) and focus on enjoying the local cuisine.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; January 10, 2020, 12:22 AM.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh I think of traditional BBQ as the stuff we mostly talk about here. Brisket, ribs, etc done in a southern style.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here