Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leon's in Griffin, Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leon's in Griffin, Georgia

Leon's is all about traditional Georgia BBQ. It is NOT an amalgamation of styles from around the country, but just wonderful, old fashioned, middle Georgia Que. Fantastic spare ribs, great pulled pork, great sides, and a nice, thin vinegary sauce with just the right touch to tomato and sweetness. Not to be missed if you are in the area.

Sounds good Daddy-O!

Here's some Piedmont Blues from Barbeque Bob for your listening pleasure:

Comment

Griffin. Man I hadn't thought of that dump* in a long time....my mother's birthplace we used to go there for all sorts of holidays. I remember Granny making cornbread in a super hot cast iron skillet....lots of bacon fat and crisco and in the oven till it smoked...then poured in the cornbread.... the exteriors were always super crispy . Granny sort of overcooked all the meat, presumably for the toothless cousins. It was something else....

* I mean fine city

Comment

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        The only way to make proper cornbread - especially if you don't want it to stick to the cast iron!

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
      Griffin. Man I hadn't thought of that dump* in a long time....my mother's birthplace we used to go there for all sorts of holidays. I remember Granny making cornbread in a super hot cast iron skillet....lots of bacon fat and crisco and in the oven till it smoked...then poured in the cornbread.... the exteriors were always super crispy . Granny sort of overcooked all the meat, presumably for the toothless cousins. It was something else....

* I mean fine city
      Wow, I just learned a new technique for making corn bread. I hope to try that this weekend.

Thanks for sharing Frac and HC.

Comment

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        Whether you use Jiffy mix or make with cornmeal from scratch, definitely oil generously and preheat the cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven.

When the oil (or bacon grease) first begins to smoke, pour in your cornbread batter and cook per instructions.

The flash searing of the super hot pan gives the batter an instant crust and it should just fall right out of the pan when done.

Just use a butter knife and go around the perimeter and then flip upside down on a towel - should pop right out with no sticking and a very easy clean up.
        Last edited by HC in SC; December 20, 2014, 07:01 AM.

Leon's only operates on certain days and times so if you are planning a trip BEWARE and make sure they are open. I work in the Griffin area and it is good Q.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here