Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlanta - Hottie hawgs bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta - Hottie hawgs bbq

Time for my first restaurant review. I am currently in Atlanta, so I looked up a few top 10 bbq restaurant lists on the internet. Hottie hawgs bbq was one that appeared on several top 10 lists, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went there on a Saturday at 6 pm, so it wasn't crowded (which was good, because I don't like waiting for a table )

It looks like your average bbq joint / pub, which is also good
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	23701

The staff was friendly and accommodating, and they had some (4-5) nice beers on tap. They serve the usual range of bbq products, but I got the impression chicken wings was a big thing. You could order buffalo wings in about any which way you liked, dry rubbed, glazed, smoked, peppered et.c.

Their smoker in action:

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	23702

They had chicken wings with a "maple habanero" glaze which sounded great, so I had a small batch as starter. They were really great, moist and tender, with a very well balanced smoke and crisp skin.

After that I tried a combo platter with brisket (I always order brisket when at a new bbq joint), baked beans, cole slaw and bread. The baked beans were a bit bland, I expected some pork/bacon dripping taste, but nope. Also, the brisket was a bit dry in my opinion. Nice smoke flavor, well balanced here also, but it was lacking in moisture. The cole slaw (mayo based) was great.

I have just visited this place once, for a proper review one or two more visits are required, but the chicken wings definitely stood out.

The menu:

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	23700

It's hard to find outstanding Que in a restaurant once you've perfected it in your backyard. It exists, but it's hard to find. Let me know if you're heading by Charlotte!

Comment

My son and his family live in Alpharetta a little NW of the city of Atlanta. So I am sending them this name to try out. I agree though it is hard to find the same barbecue in in a restaurant as you do in the backyard. The reason I think is in the backyard you give a lot more TLC to the meat in the backyard. It is just hard to cook for a crowd and keep meat warm without drying it out. My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
        My son and his family live in Alpharetta a little NW of the city of Atlanta. So I am sending them this name to try out. I agree though it is hard to find the same barbecue in in a restaurant as you do in the backyard. The reason I think is in the backyard you give a lot more TLC to the meat in the backyard. It is just hard to cook for a crowd and keep meat warm without drying it out. My opinion.
        You're spot on Guy. The backyard BBQ chef can give all the TLC his alarm clock and hungry family will allow. In the restaurant biz it's all about production & profit.

It can be said in a restaurant you try to: 1) Make high quality food, 2) Make it quickly, 3) Keep it affordable for most everyone. Pick two.

Comment

Last time I was in Atlanta we ate at a Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta. It was really good but I can't hardly judge it with just one trip. The meat was tender and juicy and the smoke was balanced. We were there too early for the Blues music but the say it is really good. Nice atmosphere. This was before I found amazing ribs site so I did not take any pictures. Here is the website though. http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info, I go to Atlanta fairly often. However I've found that GA just doesn't try too hard with brisket, they pride themselves on ribs and yardbirds, you might want to try the ribs next time!

Comment

I would skip Hottie Hawgs and visit Fox Bros bbq instead. Much better. When I was in Atlanta I wanted to try Fat Matt's also, but didn't have time. It's gotten good reviews.

Comment

Hottie Hawgs closed down as of Jan. 3rd, 2016

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here