Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georgia Barbecue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia Barbecue...

It's difficult to read articles by reporters that ask questions like, "Does Georgia even have barbecue?
    I don't know what happened to those reporters in their childhood, but an awful lot of competition trophies reside in Georgia...
    The restaurants of any kind, worth eating in, don't advertise or even have signs...
    As for the old family or church barbecues... Georgia's barbecue rocks!...
    The chamber of commerce probably is to blame for Georgia's protection of it's barbecue traditions...
    Friends and family kept it quiet, if they were on the invite list to the big gathering at the patriarch's gathering... same thing with good dove shoots...
    These newspaper advertisements are from The Red and Black newspaper from Athens, Georgia... The lower price was from 1949... The higher price was from 1959...
    Carl & Mary Blanch Dial's barbecue was all big pork hams, and they served a lot of it!
    Carl said he only lost money on the all you can eat pricing, when the Georgia Bulldog football team came to eat...
    I know the sauce still lives on but you're more likely to get Colonel Sanders spice recipe before getting the old family recipe...
    I wish the old barbecue stand was still there though... Today it would need a good sized dove field to park the cars...
    It closed with the death of the proprietors when I was a boy...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Washblue; March 14, 2022, 09:13 AM.

Those were the days . . .

Comment

Myron Mixon. That's all that needs to be said to prove Georgia has BBQ.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Mixon has set off many metal detectors on the way back to Georgia...

I used to go to Augusta GA for my heavy maintenance when I was a Hawker 800XP. One visit I tried to eat at every BBQ place I could find. Really enjoyed myself and found some great places to eat. I go to Savannah for my maintenance now that I'm a GV and although I will never do what I did in Augusta again (acid reflux) I still like to sample the Peach State BBQ scene.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        While being nostalgic, I must mention Mammy's Kitchen & Pappy's Smokehouse just south of Savannah, that predates I-95 being built. It was located on the Coastal Highway U.S. 17.

It was a simple shed roof restaurant with Pappy's Smokehouse being separate and screened in. and the food was excellent! I grew up on the Georgia Coast and eventually worked near Pooler.

Mammy's was frequented regularly, and lots of designs were sketched on the back of the placemats while we waited for lunch.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I will add this to the list! If it's still there.

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly, it was in recent times torn down to make way for more urban sprawl...
        Probably a nice laundromat or boat storage lot...

For the most part, reporters stopped diggin fer stories decades ago.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, most reporters regurgitate what they have been fed.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; March 14, 2022, 05:15 PM.

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        That seems to work with all eateries, but you’d think barbecue would get writers away from the hoity-toity magazine reading for their info and get to the meat of the subject!

Washblue - Got any recommendations for SE Georgia? My wife and I are often in that area. I tend to stay away from Savannah these day's because of the crowds, but years ago there were some fine BBQ places there.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Try Gary Lee’s Market near Brunswick…
        3636 Highway 82… look them up for hours, before you go…
        They may be open only part of the week…

I digress a bit from the main point of your post here by focusing on my irritation with reporters/reporting. I am not a fan of how it's popular to make a controversial statement disguised as a question; "Does Georgia even have BBQ?", or "Is wine really as good for us as we've been told?", "Is eating healthy really that healthy?" and the like.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems to me that reporting style is widespread…
        Between magazine articles about planning vacation trips around BBQ, but wind up promoting hotels along the way, and videos of food experts interviewing BBQ legends only to show they know zero about the subject and get weird looks from the Masters… not much is worth reading or watching…

Interesting thread that more some of us harkens back to a simpler time.
      My aunt and uncle moved back to the Miramichi area of New Brunswick, they're weeks consist of building dishes for church BBQ's. Much like Georgia's patriarchs BBQ's I would imagine.
      Also most reporters wouldn't know good BBQ if it walked up and kicked them in the arse.
      Most stories are fodder to fill the pages or screen some poor stiff has been told to produce.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh how I miss simpler times…
        Catching hogs to fatten…
        Barbecue at Uncle Bud’s cook shed…
        Oysters to roast from Mr. Thorpe, who rowed an old wooden boat in the creeks where the best singles were…
        Crabs to boil from either of the Moran brothers…
        The crabs came with a long conversation, so I had to get there early to account for conversation and laughter…

My coworker took me to Daddy D’s in Atlanta many years ago on our way to Augusta for a conference and I remember thinking, that place looks like a burned out house. I was close, it was because of smoked meat. No idea what it’s like now but it was pretty good then.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        2 1/2 miles from Daddy D’s, my grandfather had a barbecue restaurant… back in the day…
        I’ll post the pictures…

In the run up to the Great Depression, my grandfather had a barbecue stand at 724 Moreland Avenue in SE Atlanta… looking at current maps, barbecue stands still represent the area well…
      Attached Files

Comment

Aside from the regrettable "click bait" framing of that question, I think a better question is, does Georgia have a distinctive BBQ style? And if so, what is it? I'm sure they make a lot of awesome BBQ there, but does any particular style dominate, like whole hog does in S. Carolina, or beef in Central Texas?

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          As for Texas beef.
          I was over 50 years of age, when I first got talked in to tasting brisket.
          I understand some restaurants offer it, but I’m not sure which ones.
          Family and fundraisers go with chicken and pork.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          How about Brunswick Stew? That is a staple, at least seasonally around here, at BBQ joints, and its origin is Brunswick County, GA.

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          @fjmorris It’s definitely an old tradition in our family, and once was in BBQ restaurants.
          It is expensive to make and turn a profit on, so many began to use vegetable fillers and it became more soup than stew.
          It is somewhat regional. Hash takes its place in SC, which is a finer grind…
          It is a treat at our house.
          Mom always made our stew. But at 92, she’s stew-maker emeritus, turning it over to my sister and me.
          Our current recipe has been updated to take advantage of updated ingredients.
          Last edited by Washblue; March 18, 2022, 07:28 AM.

jfmorris, our stew is all smoked beef, pork and chicken… We grind nothing…
        Our beef is usually tri-tip, thin sliced and then chopped…
        The pork is pulled butt and coarse chopped… and the chicken is pulled and chopped…
        A spoon full has a bite!
        Vegetables are limited to onion, tomato, garlic and kernel corn if you aren’t keeping a close eye on my sister…
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Washblue; March 18, 2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here