Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beachcomber BBQ on St. Simon's Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beachcomber BBQ on St. Simon's Island

We had the opportunity for a quick two nights on St. Simon's Island just a tiny bit north of the Florida-Georgia state line. Yesterday we had lunch at Beachcomber BBQ. I had been aware that it had been featured on The Food Channel, but didn't bother to look up the episode until after we ate. It turns out it was Alton Brown singing its praises. He was particularly impressed with the pulled pork.

We walked there and the good sign is that we could smell the smoke from a block away. It's a very cozy, welcoming entrance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-16 14.11.41.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	1176585

That was some beautiful blue smoke wafting from an impressive offset smoker:

Name:	2022-02-16 14.11.27.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1176586

My wife and I both had sandwiches. I had brisket and my wife had smoked turkey. We shared two sides, fried okra and a wonderful concoction I'd never seen before: tater tots make from sweet potatoes (they called them sweet potato puffs).

Here's the brisket sandwich with the sides:

Name:	2022-02-16 13.52.39.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1176587

And the turkey:

Name:	2022-02-16 13.52.30.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1176588

As you can see, their slicing of the brisket is unusual. There was very little bark on the sandwich and not many of the pieces had a smoke ring, although those that did had an impressive one. I was a little concerned the brisket would be tough because it took quite a bit of pulling to remove a small bite from the slice to sample. It even almost felt a little tough in those small bites. And yet, the sandwich itself was very easy to bite through. I didn't detect a whole lot of smoke on the brisket, but the sweet sauce was tasty and brought a little smoke of its own. Here's a view showing how many layers of brisket could be bitten through with minimal effort:

Name:	2022-02-16 13.57.04.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1176589

The turkey had a better smoke profile of its own. Both the turkey and brisket were very tasty. Also peculiar to their methods, as you no doubt noticed, is that it appears they smoke and slice the meat and then store, presumably cold. It appears that they then warm it up on a grill. From the browning pattern it looks like they use something like Grill Grates for that step. Those steps appeared to be taking place in an open kitchen behind the ordering counter. I saw what looked like a flat top, which was obviously where the buns were toasted. I don't know if a section of that had the Grill Grates. I also don't know if anything back there was wood fired.

The sweet potato puffs were almost the highlight of the entire meal. They were incredible. The okra was credible and much as one would expect with nothing to distinguish it from most offerings of fried okra slices.

All in all, the food was good and I hope to get back there to try the pulled pork and/or ribs. Those did look very good.

It all looks great! Glad you had a good meal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here