Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacecase
    commented on 's reply
    They also keep spare pants for folks who show up wearing shorts. It was a few years ago, but they loaned a pair of waiter’s pants to a member of our dinner party who wore shorts.

• ecowper
    replied
    I’ve been to Bern’s twice. It’s fantastic. Steaks are on par with places like The Met in Seattle or Ringside in Portland. What sets them apart is their wine cellar and their kitchen/cellar tours. Tremendous experience.

Leave a comment:

• nikolausp
    replied
    Originally posted by HotSun View Post
    I've never been there, but my dad and stepmom make a road trip of Bern's once a year. They have had the same waiter for decades. It has always been a good experience for them.

I'll have to let them know it's closed right now. Thanks for the tip acorgihouse .

it's been reopened for a few weeks. No jacket required whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• acorgihouse
    replied
    Actually, I think is back open again! Let me check... Yep, is back open. I knew I saw in news recently. If they have been before, they know the dress code, and it's not like those restaurants in New Orleans that keep a rack of sport jackets in the entryway. You need to show up with your own!

Leave a comment:

• HotSun
    replied
    I've never been there, but my dad and stepmom make a road trip of Bern's once a year. They have had the same waiter for decades. It has always been a good experience for them.

I'll have to let them know it's closed right now. Thanks for the tip acorgihouse .

Leave a comment:

• nikolausp
    replied
    Bern's recently started doing their full kitchen & wine cellar tours again for the first time in a few years! I'll be there again in late Sept.

Leave a comment:

• WayneT
    commented on 's reply
    Whew! Glad we got our trip in back in June. Thanks for posting that.

• acorgihouse
    replied
    On the off chance anyone reading here is planning a trip to Bern's soon... they are renovating. Closed last week, and will be closed till late/end of July. Their "sister" restaurant is open, Haven, not the same experience although similar food.

Leave a comment:

• Redwng
    replied
    Have been there only once and it was fantastic, a great experience.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Bern's is a destination. It's only 120 miles away and is great excuse to spend the weekend in the Tampa area. Lot's of museums things to do. If it didn't tate 9 hours round trip we would go more often

Leave a comment:

• nikolausp
    replied
    Have been to Bern's a couple times in the last 6mo, with a couple trips to Tampa from TX. Had a great time. I recently read through the book, and it's a pretty fascinating read about the restaurant's origins, if that's your sort of thing, I definitely recommend it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1445457

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    A restaurant that I will probably never visit, but reading the comments I wish I could.

Leave a comment:

• acorgihouse
    replied
    Bern's is a legend here in Tampa. I have been there a time or two, and it is everything it's cracked up to be IMHO. I first went there ages ago, high school I'm sure, with my grandmother. It's where I first tried Caesar Salad and caviar. I was old enough to visit my grandparents in the summer, by myself, and my gm and I would send gf off to some ball game, then go shopping or eating. We went to Bern's a few times, so she could "teach me how to use all the silverware." The tableside Caesar is a total production, from juicing the lemon with a fork, to mincing the anchovies with two knives, like watching a foodie movie. I occasionally hear rumors they gave that up, but not from anyone reliable, and I just checked to see > still on the menu. They aren't kidding about allowing extra time tho', prob takes an extra hour, worth every minute. I am still hooked on Caesar salad, could eat it with a piece of grilled salmon every single day (so why don't I, hmmm?) I know a few people who got engaged there, and they did all kinds of photos in the wine cellar and whatnot. A bit of a status symbol in some circles.

I haven't been there in a good while, several years, but if I were looking for a very special place for a production dinner, it would be my first and last choice.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    When you come for that, Mosca, give me a yell and I'd love to meet you there.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Actually Armagnac is more correctly a sort of distilled brandy. Port is a sweet fortified wine. My correction and mistake.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here