Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q in D.C.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    Next time you are there, snap a few pics and post them here. I would love to see what that place is like. Thanks for the suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    Washington Post's ranking of BBQ joints for 2020 here https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/...land-virginia/

Leave a comment:

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    Donw Thanks. Texas Jack's who that article ranks #1 is only 4 miles from our hotel.

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry. Wasn't sure where to post that kind of question. Now I do!

• richinlbrg
    replied
    Thanks for posting the WaPo article, Donw ! There is one place, Hammerdown, close to me that I didn't even know of! Going to have to try it!

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Been to Hill Country in NYC - it's solid. They also have a fried chicken place around the corner, and that's outstanding!

• Troutman
    replied
    Try Hill Country Market in DC. Authentic Texas Hill Country style bbq!! Lots of places, also search Georgetown area on Google.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Latest Washington reviews of BBQ places around DC. Lots of disagreements from reader though.

Hope this at least gets you started on the right path.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    This belongs in Member Reviews > BBQ Restaurant Roundup > DC. I will move it for you. There's a couple older posts in the DC channel, maybe they'll offer some help.

Reminder, General Discussion is for off topic discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Dtmcaule
    replied
    Federalist Pig in Adam's Morgan is the best I've had in the city in a long time. The original pit master at DCity opened it.

Leave a comment:

• Bie
    commented on 's reply
    Hi There
    Don´t know why I have only seen your post now. So sorry for not responding.
    Thank you for all the great advice. I will see if I can visit some of the places when I go in 14 days time.

• Matt144
    replied
    Admittedly, DC is not known for it's BBQ, but there are some good spots. Other than DCity Smokehouse, there's The BBQ Joint in Union Market, which is a nice place to kill some time in DC. Probably the easiest place to get to is Hill Country, which originated in NY, but serves great Texas style BBQ. Kangaroo Boxing Club in Columbia Heights is a small bar with good bbq, and great pastrami. They get pretty creative with their burgers. Also, Fat Pete's in Cleveland Park, which I haven't tried, but have heard good things. There's plenty of other places in the city, including plenty of BBQ food trucks, but the one's I mentioned is where I would recommend.

If you want native DC foods, the city is known for Half smokes (half beef, half pork sausages) and mumbo sauce chicken wings (mix between sweet and sour and bbq). For half smokes, everybody will probably point you towards Ben's Chili Bowl, which is as much of a DC establishment as the White House, but it doesn't mean it's the best in the city. Meats & Foods on Florida Ave has a great half smoke, as does Straw Sticks Brick in Petworth, and Stachowski's in Georgetown. All three places make great sausages and sandwiches. Stachowski's is the place to go if your in the mood for a pastrami sandwich that can feed four.

For some non bbq related food, DC is a good spot to try Caribean or Ethiopian cuisine, if you haven't already experienced that before. I'm happy to answer any questions about DC, bbq-related or not.

Leave a comment:

• dmkbbq
    replied
    If you are close to Dulles airport, go to Carolina Brothers. I think it is the best BBQ in Northern Virgina. You can see the writer up on the resturant section of the pitmaster website.

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    I live close to DC, but have never had Q there.

Now, for beef, it is "The Palm." Been years since I've been there, but sure it is high quality!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Google "bbq Washington, DC"

You get a few hits...

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here