Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best BBQ Joints in Colorado Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best BBQ Joints in Colorado Springs

I know Colorado isn't exactly BBQ central but I'm sad to see how dead this channel is, so I thought I'd contribute. I moved here from Alabama years ago, so I was pretty underwhelmed with the local BBQ when I first arrived. That's what pretty much kicked off my smoking obsession since I knew I figured I wouldn't be able to consistently buy it.

That said, I'm a big fan of Front Range BBQ. Only go on a busy day, ie weekends, or you will get leftovers. But when it's fresh, it's good.

There's a food truck called Barney's on the corner of Academy and Union that I really enjoy, but I've only been a couple times because of the variable hours. I think I like it better than Front Range BBQ because when they're open, it's guaranteed fresh.

I was also surprised with the quality of Rudy's brisket the last couple times I went there, in spite of it being a Texas chain. Be sure to ask for a cut from the point.

But I'd like to spend a minute complaining about Bird Dog BBQ. That BBQ is absolute, complete garbage and it saddens me to see it hit the top of the "Best BBQ" lists from the Gazette and CS Indy. I swear it's only because they have several locations, and the BBQ-illiterate folk around here vote for it because it's probably the only BBQ place they've even been to. Their BBQ is so dry and flavorless, it REQUIRES BBQ sauce. I know some people fall on different sides of whether BBQ should require sauce or not, but when it tastes like its texture before adding sauce, it just depresses me. Not only is that poor meat not living up to its potential, this disgusting chain is reducing supply to the rest of us who want to respectfully make the best BBQ possible. So yeah, don't go to Bird Shit BBQ

I don't remember any good non-chain BBQ per se from when I lived there, but for Mexican I LOVED Monicas Taco Shop. There wasn't a single thing on the menu I didn't like. Edelwiess is another amazing place with the most authentic German food I ever ate outside of Germany. The only "BBQ" place of note I can think of was the Famous, but it was super pricey... I think I took a couple dates there, amazing food but hard to get out of there under 3 figures. I lived in CO for 6 years, some of my family still lives in Castle Rock. I love that area!

Comment

• MattSayar
      MattSayar commented
      Editing a comment
      The Famous is still great, but if I'm going there I'm getting a steak. The other places you mentioned are also ace, but man I wish a decent BBQ place with a pig statue out front existed here

BBQ should be good enough that it doesn't need any sauce, and if you decide to add sauce, that should take it up a notch.

Comment

• MattSayar
      MattSayar commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly, it should be optional, not required

I lived there for 30 years. I could not agree more with you! Bird Dog is Bird Crap!

Comment

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! LoL! Thanks for the review. some in laws live in CS area. I won't go out expecting BBQ.

Comment

Just my 2 pennies, but I haven't really found much in the way of food, BBQ or otherwise, in the Springs that was worth seconds. I had the unfortunate outing to Rudy's right after we moved back while all our things were in storage and it was garbage, but I do give them credit as there is always a line.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          The places I mentioned above are amazing, just not BBQ

• MattSayar
          MattSayar commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man there's plenty of good places to eat here. I'm not sure where you're looking!

• tstalafuse
          tstalafuse commented
          Editing a comment
          We've been to both places and thought they were okay. I have had better/worse German food in/outside of Germany (same for Italy, France, Mexico, and most Central American countries). As for what I am looking for.. If I am going to pay to have someone prepare the meal it needs to be better than what I can make myself. Otherwise, I just don't feel the need to go back. I have shared many meals with people who confused good food with the convenience of not having to prepare the meal.

Bird Dog has the WORST brisket you will ever find anywhere! So dry and tasteless I threw it in the trash can after 2 bites and walked out. They spend a lot of $$ on advertising and the uninformed go there thinking that it is what BBQ should be. I never went back and I told many people how bad it is.

Comment

I lived in Colorado Springs from 2003 - 2011. Bird Dog BBQ opened while I was there and at the time I thought it was good. Now, that was before I started cooking my own Q so I might have a different opinion now. Or perhaps the quality has gone down considerably over the years? Other than Bird Dog, the options (when I was there) were few and not that good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here