Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peruvian in Chile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peruvian in Chile

Mosquette (my girl) and Felipe (new SiL) say that Peruvian is the best. I think I’m gonna have to go ahead and say, they get some serious benefit of the doubt here.

We we went to a small restaurant called Machu Picchu. I didn’t get enough pictures, sorry but we were having so much fun I wasn’t thinking. We ordered a couple appetizer plates of shrimp, octopus, potatoes, ceviche, and a thing that was mashed potatoes, avocado and tuna that was really outstanding. Yes, the ceviche was also outstanding! That was the first photo I forgot to take.

I had Peruvian chicken with rice and potatoes, most everyone else had variations on (XX protein) and rice: shrimp, beef, chicken, fish. Peruvian isn’t so much Andean as it is Andean/Asian fusion; it can be authentic either way, it’s just a matter of where in the cultural timeline you want to drop yourself.

The yellow sauce is served served with almost everything, including the potatoes in the appetizer. It’s pretty mild, like a bright bell pepper mayonnaise if that makes any sense. I expected it to be spicy, but it was not. But it was really good.

We ordered sides of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fried yucca. All were excellent. The sweet potatoes were cold and glazed. The fried yucca was most delicately fried, the layer of crispness was very thin, it was served with the yellow sauce. The potatoes (forgot the photo) were completely unadorned and deserve special mention; they were downright savory in their perfection. Just potatoes. No butter, no salt, no pepper.

Some side notes:

I mixed up my chicken and rice before taking the photo. The presentation was actually very nice, with the rice formed in a cake and the chicken and sauce over the potatoes.

The rice dishes all came out like that. That one stands for all the others.

It is strange to fight traffic for half an hour, then pull up to your destination and park right in front, with your choice of half a dozen spots. Parallel, no meters.

Chile is very child friendly. No one notices screaming infants.

Tip is optional, 10%, and on the receipt at every restaurant we’ve visited . You point to which one you want to pay. When you tip, the waiter gets a big smile and doesn’t say "gracias", he says "muchas gracias!"

People here eat very late. We arrived at 6:30, and the only other patrons were the couple with the screaming infant; when we left at 8:45, the place was packed. Mosquette said that the couple with the kid were probably there early because they knew it wouldn’t be crowded. They left around 7.

The prices were pretty reasonable, an entree was about 11000 pesos, which is $16-17. Felipe says in Peru they would be $2-3 at a roadside stand. I did get him to confess that there is a benefit to being sure you won’t get sick. And to not having to travel 1500 miles.

I’ll think of more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	83C91E78-3CDF-4BB9-BB0E-A3C4F9428E2F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	679877Click image for larger version  Name:	6E72A6D5-D56B-4462-BF0E-2F917B452E76.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	679878Click image for larger version  Name:	FBFB46F1-8BD5-457A-AE8C-04170502176E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	679879Click image for larger version  Name:	F3BFCBE3-CD21-415A-B5AB-041B7A8F1CC7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	679880
    Last edited by Mosca; May 16, 2019, 09:56 AM.

Mosquette (LOL). Nice travel log. Run into any hint of barbeque down there?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Going to a family bbq this afternoon. As far as restaurants, haven’t looked much. As more guests arrive from the US, the demands on our time become greater. Today the bulk arrive; backyard bbq today, group dinner tomorrow, wedding Saturday, free day Sunday, back to the US Monday.

There's a few places doing American style BBQ in Santiago, but few in far between. Chowdown on fish as you can always eat BBQ back home. (Seen the fish market yet?)

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      We aren’t going to get a chance, this is more of an eat out every meal trip. The food has been damn good, though. I did check for "best bbq in Santiago" got a lot of Argentine steakhouses! (And one Korean bbq place.)

Just last week we received our order of ahi amarillo paste and made Peruvian chicken on the BGE. The spices were excellent, lots of flavor without being too spicy. It is going to be a regular dish at our house, and hopefully the reason I'll NEED a Joetisserie.

Comment

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahi armadillo paste. Odd combination! 😏

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      NapMaster Amarillo / Yellow. Yellow pepper paste

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that Ahumadora Didn't think ya'll would mix tuna and armadillo. 😂

It sounds, (and looks), like you are having a great time.

Comment

Thanks again for including us on your trip. If you have a chance, investigate the yellow sauce more. I'm curious what they call it and what is in it.

Comment

Are you bringing back some dishes to try to create when you get home?

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          They look pretty straightforward. I’m thinking the aji chicken.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca keep us updated.

Thanks for the post Mosca. Have loads of fun!!

Comment

Spent several years in South America. Cousin has a winery in Chile and like you said the food is great. The Argentine asado is comparable to non. Have had cooked lamb and fresh caught trout on an open fire on a week pack trip in Chile and Bolivan food while traveling the Alto Plano. Great countries. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here