Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ pits in the GTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ pits in the GTA

Figured its about time someone listed BBQ pits in the GTA for AR members who live in the GTA and for AR members who may visit the GTA.
    Unlike Troutman down in Houston where there`s a pit on all four street corners in every intersection it seems, options up here are severely limited, so here`s a list of places I`ve been to, hopefully other GTAers will add to this.

1. Memphis Fire BBQ Co in Winona - The place as far as I`m concerned. Set in a 50s diner, everythings top notch and the line ups to get in prove it. Get there early or prepare to line up. Ample portions for a fair price.

2. Hungry Hollow Smoke House in Georgetown - Real good BBQ. Small hole in the wall, could be great in a larger premises. Does huge catering. Ample portions for a fair price.

3. Camp 31 BBQ in Paris - A spin off of the original Camp 31 in Alabama. Real good BBQ. Ample portions for a fair price.

4. Big Bone BBQ in Milton and Whitby - I`ve only been to the Milton Location and that was when it was Memphis BBQ before it sold out to Big Bone, friends have been to the Whitby location and rave about it. Real good BBQ. Lots of seating. Ample portions for a fair price.

So AR members in the GTA, lets hear where you`ve been.

Was an article in a culinary magazine a while back that claimed that the BBQ in Texas gas stations was better than most BBQ in other places restaurants, lol. Guess is Texans take it for granted. I can't imagine living somewhere where I had to drive farther than about 20 minutes to find some good que that I didn't smoke myself.

Comment

Bein’ a bit older and bein’ from ,I hate to say it , Massachusetts, I was driving truck and the best place I ever wanted to go back to was down in Brownwood,Texas.
    Small little BBQ place goin into town,,,maybe next town over,been awhile,but to this date, the brisket and beef ribs ,a few chips and salsa still make me drool
    I miss those days

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I never did any cross border trucking just local city bulk.
      The tales of BBQ I could tell if I did though....

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I only live 19 miles from Brownwood. If you ever remember more on the location please let me know. We retired to a place just west of Comanche last year from the Texas panhandle. We love it here, but haven't found all the good places to eat yet.

When I lived in Mississauga, back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, we didn't have a clue about southern BBQ. I remember the first time I saw pulled pork on the menu when I was across the border. I didn't order it because they didn't say what they pulled the pork out of.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny!

Add this to the list
    Cherry Street BBQ in the Portlands area of east Toronto.
    Had they're award winning brisket on a tray with pork side ribs with a side of brisket beans and potato salad.
    Ample portion that both my wife and I ate from one tray.
    Good really good for BBQ in Canada.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Greater Toronto Area...named for the great urban sprawl this city has become

• Greasy
      Greasy commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep them coming. I grew up East of there and never really thought of BBQ while visiting.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a place called Big Bone in Whitby, I've never been there but friends of mine out that way rave about it.
      Pulled pork and ribs, have never mentioned brisket.
      Its on my bucket list too.

Coupla pics for today’s adventure
    Attached Files

Comment

Pardon my ignorance. What is the GTA?

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Grand Theft Auto, probably. Or Greater Toronto Area.

Add Strodes BBQ In Branford to the list, went there today while visiting my son.
      A three in one BBQ, a full service butcher shop, a store selling Trager & Yoder smokers along with rubs, pellets and the like and then a take out counter serving great food. Wasn't cheap but the portions were huge and excellent quality.
      Certainly worth the stop if your in the area.

Comment

Couple of pics I took, stupidly I took no pics inside the place....yeesh

In the first pick there are two Tragers smoking away full of pork butts and ribs
        Attached Files
        Last edited by smokin fool; November 2, 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Wow this thread needs more BBQ! Being in Downtown TO I can vouch for a couple of places:

Barque Smokehouse - In Roncesvalles. Amazing Lemon Pepper seasoning actually, and excellent BBQ for a small place downtown!

Adamson BBQ - In the east end, in Leaside. Amazing.

Carbon Bar - Just east of Yonge. Amazing Brisket. The just opened a counter in the west end (Etobicoke) and it was the best BBQ I've had in town... and we ordered it delivery, too. Two kids, it was a weeknight (my birthday), don't judge

Stockyards Smokehouse - great smashed burgers and great ribs!

And I second the vote for Memphis Fire as the place. Anyone in the GTA would be wise to take a day off work, spend the day in the Niagara area, and hit this place for dinner on the way home. Incredible food all around, not just the BBQ (but the BBQ is terrific).

Comment

@ SpaceCoyote Thanks for the input of GTA pits, I'm frequently in Etobicoke so will look up the Carbon Bar.
            I've heard of Barque and Stockyards but never in the area, they're on my bucket list
            Montana's has a brisket sandwich on the menu now, I'd like to try it but I know I'm setting myself up for dis-appointment.
            Its probably some factory produced product, not cooked in a pit on site.
            Take care.

Comment

• MFitz
              MFitz commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried the brisket sandwich from Montana two weeks ago. It’s definitely a disappointment. I enjoy my own brisket sandwiches much better.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn't agree more, I tried one a few weeks ago myself against my better judgement, garbage.
              Quite simply put, thinly sliced deli roast beef.
              Sadly most people around here wouldn't know a good brisket from a good kick in the arse so Montana's can pass off this trash as brisket.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here