Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there hope for Saskatoon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are you doing in Saskatoon?

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Day job. I travel about 12 to 15 weeks a year, Sunday to Friday.

I don't mean to down Saskatoon but from all the comments it almost sounds like they sent you to Siberia or something. Have fun with it where ever you end up eating dude!

Comment

Originally posted by vandy View Post
      I don't mean to down Saskatoon but from all the comments it almost sounds like they sent you to Siberia or something. Have fun with it where ever you end up eating dude!
      Weather has been in 70s during the day, low low 40s at night. They tell me this is really warm for this time of year and mentioned it's snowed this time of year before. I'm counting myself lucky!

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, oh yeah, it's not May on the Canadian prairie without at least one snowstorm, we had one earlier this month in Calgary, Alberta!

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you found a pretty good place to eat and it sounds like Saskatoon is a place I would like to vist. I love the 70's and 40's temps this time of year!

So it turns out the Hilton Garden Inn I'm staying at has a smokehouse restaurant. They serve ribs, brisket, smoked chicken, and pulled pork. How convenient! I ordered the "Smoked Meat" sandwich tonight. Made with brisket smoked for 18 hours according to the menu and served on marble rye bread with a dijon aioli. It was good. Tasted a lot like a corned beef sandwich and not a whole heck of a lot of smoke flavor. Meat was sliced razor thin and chopped so it was hard to tell how well they cooked it. All in all I was satisfied for my $14 Canadian.

Comment

• Greasy
        Greasy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich. Those are pretty good.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Greasy that's exactly what it was!

• Greasy
        Greasy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's deli food. If you go to the Kosher delis in Montreal it's the main meat they serve. The stuff is awesome. Kind of surprised they now serve it all the way out in Saskatoon. I grew up in Canada and I never saw southern BBQ there.

Man I googled it and you are way to far north for me t help. Looks like your best bet is to go to Prince Albert and see if he still lives in a can.

Comment

Here you go, good luck.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          Folks I need help. I'm in Saskatoon for the next two weeks and based on google, tripadvisor, and urbanspoon there are no decent barbecue places here. Schryer's Smoked Barbecue shack is the most promising, and that's after reading the reviews about boiled ribs and sauce drenching. Help a carnivore out?
          Just think of it as a learning experience: check out where you'll eat before you go there. I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by billg71 View Post

Just think of it as a learning experience: check out where you'll eat before you go there. I feel your pain.
            I don't pick where I go; I make do with what's on my schedule

Comment

All you need is a McRib from the local MacDonno's.

Comment

You COULD give them lessons, David Parrish !

Comment

David Parrish, Can You Smell the Smoke? You are Not to far from the Big Fires in Alberta Canada! We are actually experiencing Haze (Smoke) from here in Fargo ND, Dan!

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, when I first got here. Now I don't notice it.

Good southern style smoked BBQ restaurants basically don't exist in Western Canada. If you can find a steakhouse that serves prime or AAA grade Alberta beef that would be your best bet (Alberta is the province directly to the west so you should be able to find it). In my not so humble opinion, my home province has some of the world's best overall beef in terms of what you can get at any grocery store. The key is the barley finish, corn is a swear word around these parts when it comes to finishing cattle.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqoaf, You Canucks aren't all bad, Exceptt George McLeod, Brandon MB! I darn sure took note of your suggested Grain for Finishing Beef, I thought my Dad crawled out of his Grave! His opinion was that Corn Fed Beef was "Sloppy", he used to feed Ground Wheat and Barley Screenings! From Fargo, Dan

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haha, Danjohnston949 your father knew his cow!

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqoaf, Sonny (Dad) was just an Old Dirt Farmer, left school before He got through the 8th Grade, in the Navy
                  at 17! He made and hauled feed to the Sob's Fall and Winter, hauled the S--t away with a Team of Horses and
                  pulled their Calves! Butchered and Cut them up he Flat knew his Cows! Dan

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here