Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Voice in Southern California BBQ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Voice in Southern California BBQ!

Ladies and Gentleman,
    Slabs Barbecue, featuring our pal eugenek, is turning out some beautiful beef ribs in La Crescenta. Here he is with his right-hand man, Adam, and some of that tasty, tasty product.

Pic no good for me

Comment

• jmott7
      jmott7 commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you mean, John? Does it not open?

Don't see a pic

Comment

• jmott7
      jmott7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Weird. I can see it on the computer I'm on and on my Kindle.

Nope doesn't open.

Comment

Dang. It's a shame you can't see it. Kind of a thing of beauty, even if I have to say so myself. David Parrish , do you know what might be up with this?
      Last edited by jmott7; March 29, 2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jordan! Great to meet you in person and I'm looking forward to doing a cookout soon. Still waiting on the new smoker before I can take that next step, but Slabs Barbecue is indeed a real business, at least legally.

Would you text me that pic?

Comment

• jmott7
          jmott7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Done.

Thanks again Jordan, here are a couple pics. For now the plan is start out at Harmony Farms on Saturdays. No pressure to sell sell sell, just cooking meat for people who might also be shopping for meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7624.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	75320

Name:	image_7623.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	75319

Name:	image_7621.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	75317
        Last edited by eugenek; March 29, 2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• CurlingDog
          CurlingDog commented
          Editing a comment
          WHOA!!! My, what beee-you-tee-ful brontosaurus bones you have! nom nom nom

• eugenek
          eugenek commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks CD!

Slabs BBQ? Where is that? And I live in La Crescenta. Pasadena? I've never really been to Harmony Farms... I drive by it all the time.

Comment

Hey cdub24, the plan seems to be constantly changing as I navigate the health department rules. We started out at the Malibu Farmers Market the last couple weeks, but due to the distance and cost we're going to switch markets and hopefully bring it to Old Pasadena Farmers Market soon. I'm not able to sell at Harmony Farms because of the LA County health regulations. I've learned that cooking barbecue around here is a very tough nut to crack unless you outright start your own restaurant or invest in a food truck.

However, if you wanted to have a cookout I'd be down with that.

Comment

Huh... what are the health regs?

Have you looked into doing it at the Montrose or La Canada market? Although I have no idea what the ins and outs on those places are as a vendor.

Have you tried the BBQ place attached to Cordon's? It was ok. Although I'm a tough critic after making my own "last meal ribs".

Comment

• eugenek
              eugenek commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly, I'm still trying to figure it all out. For example, Pasadena health department wants me to park at a commissary because they consider my trailer a food truck. But it's not. And one of the commissary's I checked out won't let me park because the trailer isn't covered, per LA County health department rules. So that puts me in no man's land. Like I said, still trying to figure it all out.

I haven't looked into Montrose, but I have asked about La Canada. There's a couple who brings their food truck to La Canada on Saturdays and they serve brisket plates and sandwiches. I like their pecan sweet potatoes when it's available. They're sweet people, please give them your business.

I'm talking again with Pasadena so maybe we'll get some answers. Thanks! But seriously, are we doing a local cookout or what?? jmott7 are you in?

I'm definitely interested. Start a new job next month, so things could get hairy, but maybe I can call it a marketing event.

Comment

Hi all, this past Sunday was our debut at the Old Pasadena farmers market. The market runs from 9am to 2pm and is located at the corner of Fair Oaks Ave and Holly St. Thanks!

Name:	image_9742.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	88826

Name:	image_9741.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	88827

Name:	image_9743.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	88825
              Last edited by eugenek; June 8, 2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                eugenek looks like you're having a lot of fun

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah it's been fun and a good change from my day job (I sit at a desk all day). It's also A LOT of work and stress, both physically and mentally. I suppose that's how it is for anyone starting their own business.

Great to see you getting your hobby/business running. Good luck! Lovely to see those beef ribs!

Comment

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the encouragement! Thinking of it as my hobby is probably what's keeping me sane.

How did that Subway owner behind you not come out and beat you with a foot long? lol!!!. Good luck and congrats. You give us hope!

Comment

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                They'd need a lot of foot longs to beat a lot of vendors, ha.

eugenek

I admire your entrepreneurial attitude! Making your hobby a business is stressful. Relying on the public to like and appreciate your offerings can drive a person crazy. Knowing how to price your product to maximize volume without going broke or working for free is stressful. Worrying about product liability is stressful. Food poisoning can put any restaurant out of business unless they have very expensive insurance. The federal government demanding 39% of your profits without doing ANY thing to make your business grow and then telling "You didn't build that" is an insult and stressful.

I can tell you eugenek... There is NO better feeling than starting a new business venture and eventually making it work!!!

Nice Logo... I like it.

Good luck my friend.

Comment

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you've been there, done that. Each week has been a roller coaster of emotions so far, especially when dealing with customers. I haven't really done any retailing or food service before so it's all new to me. But I try to keep things simple, from reducing what equipment I transport to what I serve on my menu (just different sized servings of short ribs!). That seems to help keep me sane.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here