Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got food recommendations in San Diego?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got food recommendations in San Diego?

I will be out there for 5 days or so for a conference starting may 19th. Its at the convention center so we will be staying in the gas lamp district. Are there any must hit places for food?

Thanks in advance.

Hodad's in downtown. Best burger on the West Coast.

Also in downtown, I like Stout Public House. A nice Irish pub, with surprisingly good food. The shepherd's pie is really good.
    Last edited by Livermoron; May 12, 2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for Hodad's

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      The burgers on Hodad's website look pretty amazing

Fish Tacos are everywhere

Comment

Try Las Cuatro Milpas for some old school Mexican food in San Diego's El Barrio:
      2685 reviews and 2494 photos of Las Cuatro Milpas "Easily the best tacos in town, Las Quatro Milpas has been in business for 75 years and their experience sure does show. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Their menu and decor are simple but the flavors are excellent. My favourites are the pork taco and rolled tacos. You actually eat in the kitchen where little old mexican laides are making the best tortillas in town. If you are with a group, you should get a couple of tacos and a small rice and beans to split. Oh, and the hot sauce is pretty spicey but sure is addictive. I can't go a week without a taco. :)"

The Crack Shack (https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-crack-shack-san-diego) is very tasty and it's sister restaurant next door, Juniper & Ivy, is Chef Richard Blais' flagship restaurant. Juniper & Ivy is very pricey, but is an awesome dining experience.

Comment

Island Prime. I'm not sure if they still do it, but they had a seafood buffet on Sundays that was outstanding. Small steam table trays that were constantly being replenished.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Im confused. The link embedded in your reply goes to Yelp for a place called Truckstop...

I looked up island prime though and im always down with anywhere that actually has escargot on the menu.

• 52Merc
          52Merc commented
          Editing a comment
          What's your plane?

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          C-47 I was a crew member on years ago.

Blue water seafood market and grill is awesome for fish.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys. i will def try to hit some of them and report back the experience

Comment

I was going to recommend Anthony's Fish Grotto on the bay. I just looked it up to confirm I had the name right and found out they closed that location in Jan 2017, after 71 years - too bad.

Comment

Since you have 5 days if you want to get out of downtown, you can get an Uber out to Escondido and hit the Stone Brewing Company. The restaurant there is really good, and of course they have beer. I would get a reservation if you are going at peak time. I haven't done the brewery tour.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Its unlikely. The conference means long ass days, usually 14 hours or so. But if i get the chance i would love to visit Stone

• radshop
                radshop commented
                Editing a comment
                I kinda figured that might be the case, but doesn't hurt to throw it out there. I've spent a lot more time in other parts of San Diego County than in the downtown area.

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                Stone also has a restaurant/brewery in Liberty Station, which is right by the airport. definitely not the same as the main facility in Escondido, but still worth checking out.

Slater’s 50/50 .... greatest burger joint ever. Make your own creation .... can’t beat it .... and fantastic beer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E5C853EE-A37B-496E-9A57-70972EDD4F53.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	906.7 KB ID:	498683Click image for larger version  Name:	BF672C0B-82E9-4655-A4D0-53E357B6C901.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	932.7 KB ID:	498684Click image for larger version  Name:	A6686D4E-FC9D-4548-8A39-2DE6CA6D7F07.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	979.3 KB ID:	498685Click image for larger version  Name:	AF106182-C402-45B5-B20F-6B40F9117783.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	958.8 KB ID:	498686
              Last edited by ecowper; May 12, 2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                You will not be sorry if you go to Slater’s 50/50 .... the 50/50 stands for 50% ground beef, 50% ground bacon :-D

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh gtfoh...really?

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                grantgallagher Serious as a heart attack! If you don’t like the 50/50 idea, you can have it 100% ground beef, though

More expensive, and great Asian influenced seafood .... Roy’s up in LaJolla

Comment

I'll keep this to stuff that's near downtown, if you're willing to go a bit farther afield I can recommend more.

The best burger is at The Balboa https://www.thebalboabarandgrill.com. Go during happy hour and the burger's $5.

Half Door Brewing Co. is a few blocks from the Convention Center and a good place for lunch and a beer. Dinner's good, too. http://www.halfdoorbrewing.com. The same owners also own The Field, an Irish pub in the heart of the gaslamp, good fish & Chips.

Cowboy Star is my favorite steak house. Spendy, but very, very worth it https://www.cowboystarsd.com/#best-steak-ever

Lots of stuff in Little Italy. Monello and Mona Lisa are favorites https://www.lovemonello.com http://monalisalittleitaly.com
                There's an Argentinian steak house in Little Italy that I haven't tried yet, but hear good things.

Las Cuatro Milpas and Salud! are both great for Mexican street food. They're both in Barrio Logan, just a few minutes from downtown.

Barbecue? Grand Old BBQ y Asada in North Park. There's always a line, and they do sell out, but very legit http://grandolebbq.com

Coop's West Texas BBQ is also very good. It's in Lemon Grove, about a 10 minute drive east of the city. http://coopsbbq.com

That'll do for a start.

Comment

Even though I know this is an old thread, I had to put my thoughts in.

+1 for Hodad's Bacon Cheeseburger. (There's one downtown, too!) I say it's way better than any of the others on this list, but that's just me.
                  +1 for Crack Shack! The "Mexican Poutine" combines North & South flavors.... so good!

Hammond's Ice Cream is home made gourmet ice cream. They do ice cream flights w/tiny cones!

Pt. Loma Seafood is a no-frills seafood place w/great fresh food. Not in downtown, but close.

The Marine Room in La Jolla. Solid, fancy, food right on the water.

The beef ribs at Phil's BBQ are my favorite. Yes, it's a chain but man I love that bark!

Comment

Don't forget Not Not Tacos, Sam the Cooking Guy's place: https://www.notnottacos.com/

Comment

Since it was revived, where did you end up going and what did you think?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here