Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hazy BBQ - Danville CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hazy BBQ - Danville CA

Took my dad here the other night because he likes his ribs "fall of the bone" and doesn't like the ones I make.

He and I both had their ribs, which were St. Louis style. My wife just had a selection of sides. I would normally have also tried the brisket and pulled pork to really judge a place, but that was deemed too expensive and I wasn't that hungry.

The ribs were smoked and then held in a water bath before serving. They were definitely fall-off-the-bone and tasted OK but not something I would order again. Their red sauce was sweet and smoky and served on the side (actually self-served).

The standard fries were good, but nothing special. We also had the spicy Brussels sprouts which were undercooked. The "spicy" slaw was not good at all. My wife had cheesy mashed potatoes which she said were, "OK but how bad could they screw that up?"

The places aims to be "Texas-style" BBQ and the serving style is definitely southern style, served on metal sheet pans with pink butcher paper. The table was stainless steel. All of which served to cool down the food way too fast and was cold by the time we finished it.

Pricing was pretty steep for what we got. $41 for two 1/3 racks of ribs and 3 sides, no drinks.

I won't be back.

Man we are lacking around here! Thanks for taking a bullet.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      I never heard of it, but just looked it up. Too bad it's pretty far away from me.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Come on, mgaretz , Emeryville is only 30 miles away. Hahahahaha. You would have to do lunch to avoid traffic.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb - I hoped someone would get a kick out the 30 miles.

Sooo - I guess you are sayin' it wouldn't be worth the trip from the East coast to the West coast?

Comment

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
      Man we are lacking around here! Thanks for taking a bullet.
      Have you been to Sauced? Haven't tried it yet.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not tried it. Menu looks good. I keep forgetting how much they want for a meal.
        It makes it tough to justify when mine taste damn good!

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        My Daughter, who lives in San Jose says she heard they were good but pricey

My mom lives in the same area. After she had my pulled pork, she says all of the local places are no good. She is now seeing about replicating my recipe in a Dutch oven in the oven. She is having fun with it.

Comment

Maybe some Hazy Blur red wine with that would help dull the memory?

Comment

I think a lot of people like BBQ for the BBQ sauce and really don't know good BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here