Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for good q in the Anaheim area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for good q in the Anaheim area

Going to be in Anaheim a good part of each week without my smoker (taking care of aging father). Looking for good Q recommendations in the area.

Not sure if you consider Simi Valley to be in the area, but there was this discussion yesterday: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ar-los-angeles

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Simi Valley is way too far, but thanks.

As a long time southern Orange County resident, and before that Los Angeles, prepared to be disappointed. Lack of a really good BBQ joint is one of the main reasons I finally bought my own smoker. There a few popping up claiming to be really good like the one in Simi. There is also Heritage BBQ in San Juan Capistrano. I have not tried either one, although I know several folks who really like the food from Heritage albeit expensive. Neither are near Anaheim. Sorry - hopefully another Pit member has discovered something close to where you will be.

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      Heritage has a really good reputation. I have not been there.

you can find good bbq in SoCal, you just have to eat a lot of bad bbq before you find it!
    the problem with bbq in SoCal is it is very expensive to operate a restaurant in this neck of the woods. rent is high, taxes are high and Los Angeles county on it's own (or at least Long Beach) is one of the most business un-friendly places you will ever come across. So, what we get from that is primarily chain bbq joints that can more easily survive under such a situation.
    when good joints do open up they are folks who have been doing the catering and event circuits and they sell every bit of what they cook because they know the ropes. when they open up a brick and mortar because everyone tells them their bbq is the best and they'd eat it everyday, an avalanche of expenses fall upon them and it turns out people don't eat bbq everyday and they end up throwing away a lot of delicious and expensive meats that didn't sell that day or the day before. i've found many good, small bbq joints in my area over the years but rarely do they last a few years before closing shop.
    that said, here are a few you might try if they are still around by the time you get here!

The Corner 10th in Long Beach - thecorner10th.com. somewhat new place. great breakfast. great brisket.

Robert Earls BBQ in Long Beach - http://robertearlsbbq.com/. a true bbq joint with award-winning brisket. i haven't been here but my brother-in-law loves it

Chris and Pitts - https://www.chrisandpittsbbqrestaurants.com/. old school family-owned joint with three locations. hickory smoked.

OG Hambones - http://www.oghambones.com/. in Bellflower off I-91. soul food bbq joint with greasy tables

Willie's BBQ - small bbq joint. driven by it but haven't stopped in. located at 3244 W Lincoln Ave, Anaheim, CA 92801

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      latenight71 Wow! I did not know Chris & Pitts was still around! My family used to eat at the Valley location - I think it was on Victory Blvd., but it was early 60's, so my memory could be whacked. I remember loving their BBQ beans and sweet sauced ribs. They had gherkins and pickled peppers on every table. Fond memories...

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t forget about the air permits to operate the smoker.

couple more to consider:

Jav's Bar-B-Q - in Anaheim. https://www.instagram.com/javsbbq/?hl=en
    Texas style. a friend works near this place and told be to give it a try. i have not been there myself.

Blake's Place - in Anaheim. they opened a second location in Los Alamitos that i enjoyed once but it closed a year ago or so. original spot still open. a bit on the pricey side. https://www.blakesplacebbq.com/

Heritage BBQ - in San Juan Capastrano. have not eaten here but have read some great reviews. they seem to being it right. https://www.heritagecraftbbq.com/

Comment

GolfGeezer For your enjoyment:

The Bellflower location. Love the kitchy exterior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pitts2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	1005448

The closed Victory Blvd. Van Nuys location.

Name:	2923a82daeeb2e79e6196cd6892bd349.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1005449

Chris & Pitts sold jars of their polish picklesin the 1970s.

Name:	d5a22e5b94b79af041860e298099a730.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1005450

Menu

Name:	e21a6612d6ae531be1392b493113e0eb.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1005451

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!! Thank you. Big smiles looking at that Victory picture.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember Chris and Pitts from when I was young but don’t really recall the food. For years I used their bbq sauce as a base that I would amp up with brown sugar, soy sauce and other seasonings. Now Bullseye and SBR is close enough to what I made.

The best part of So Cal is avoidance.😛
      Or try one of the above.
      BTW, PBR is now based in So Cal, or so I read.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish more people were like you and avoided So. Cal.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here