Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal - Sydney Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal - Sydney Area

I am using a WSM 18.5 and am in search of quality charcoal to use. Ive only tried the house brands from Woolies & Bunnings but looking for a Kingsford Blue Bag equivalent here in Sydney. I've looked into getting lump coal and have a few good leads but wanted to know if anyone here in Oz knew of a good alternative. Thanks!

I'm not a charcoal guy i have a pellet grill but you can get Kingsford competition briquettes from Costco in Crossroads or Auburn NSW or even Canberra. Apparently they burn hotter and longer....They may even have the blue ones ...hope this helps mate ...

Comment

Thanks Steve for the feedback, i havent seen charcoal at the Costco in Lidcombe but will take a deeper look next time im there.

I got frustrated with Charcoal found at Coles, woolies, and Bunnings so Ive moved on to lump charcoal. So far I've used gidgee lump and so far so good. Ive gone through 1 20kg bag and bought two more, i get roughly 3 long 12-16 hour cooks....at least on my first bag. After searching some local bbq forums i found that BBQ Aroma in Leichardt had several options, namely Gidgee, Mallee, Redgum, and Mangrove all available. I worked with a guy named Nick over email and had no issues having the lump charcoal and a few boxes of chunk hickory to boot. (they got apple, peach, jam, hickory, olive and mesequte in 1kg and 3kg boxes).

Ill leave their email here as well if anyone in the future wants to contact. Im always interested in different vendors to test out, if anyone finds any other please feel free to share.
      [email protected]

Comment

I'm not sure how but I have managed to miss seeing the KBB at the Auburn Costco, being a true blooded American man i refused to ask for any assistance from Costco employees until this past week....and guess what KBB was there the whole damn time! As you walk into Costco Auburn it was located in the back on the right hand side, just before the fruit/vegetable cooler room. Cost was decent as well, something like 22/kg which is line with Heat Beats 9-10/kg from Woolies.

Ive also given Heat Beads a try again and have found them OK and decent enough to work with. I bought 4 bags of KBB that I will save for long cooks of 8+ hours for brisket and pulled pork.

Gidgee lump charcoal works just fine and burns hot, only issue is with lump you get some smaller pieces which tend to restrict airflow which is an obvious issue.

All good from 'Straya, smoked some beef shorties and pork ribs yesterday that turned out just fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here