Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rodney Scott BBQ in B’ham, AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney Scott BBQ in B’ham, AL

This is the second time I’ve been to Rodney Scott’s in Bham. Needless to say I was disappointed with my meal today. I ordered the pork plate with baked beans and collards. The collards were wonderful. I just can’t get over how bad the pork was, when the plate arrived at my table I could tell right off it was reheated from who knows when. The saving grace was their white sauce was pretty good.

I completely understand that serving fresh bbq in a restaurant setting is difficult, which is why so many are moving to a "when’s it’s gone, it’s gone" operation. But this was straight up embarrassing. It seems they could invest in vacuum seal bags and a Sous vide to reheat/hold leftovers.

I will give them another shot, if it goes bad then it’s 3 strikes you’re out.

Note: the first visit was wings, they were ho-hum.

Makes me think of the old saying. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment

Going back for more punishment one more time?
      As W.C. Fields once said, "If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There’s no point in being a damn fool about it."

Comment

Bummer to hear this. That is a bucket list BBQ spot for me.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure the original location in SC is good. I’m probably guilty of too much grace/chances because it is common knowledge many restaurants serve reheated items.

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          au4stree truthfully? And I imagine I am one of the few that would believe so. I find reheated BBQ to actually taste better than fresh off
          the pit. It seems to me like a cool down and reheat kind of intensifies and tames down the smoke flavor if that makes sense.
          I will add the it has to be reheated correctly.
          Last edited by Debra; January 27, 2022, 01:01 PM.

Thanks for the warning. I haven't been down there yet. Always sad when you had other BBQ choices nearby but had a disappointing meal that should have been very good.

Comment

Just saw where Rodney Scott is partnering with Eric Church on a restaurant/bar on Broadway in downtown Nashville called Chiefs. I hope the quality is better than what you are seeing in Birmingham. I don't have high expectations though, given the location. All of those country star owned places that have taken over Nashville are suspect at best. Just there for the tourist and "woo-girls" money any more. I avoid that place like the plague, other than the occasional Predators game.

Comment

My wife and I stopped at his original location in Hemingway, SC years back and the pork was very good. But I've learned a long time ago that there is a high probability that places/pitmasters who get famous and try the franchise route won't be turning out the 'que that makes them famous.

Once you show up on FoolsNetwork, it's usually a slow decline.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here