Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molasses ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molasses ???

Sorry I don't know where to post this question.

But reading on how molasses is made, I want to know if I can make dark molasses from regular molasses?

Dark molasses is from the second boil.
    Black molasses is from the 3rd boil.

My recipe calls for dark molasses and I only have regular. I really want to use the dark.

So can I boil it down and let it cool and remove the crusted sugar that forms?

Wow! What an Excellent Science question...Bravo!

I have no freakin ideal as to an answer, but now, I'm standin by, with bated breath, fer any authoritative, knowledgeable answers.

I see ya tremble in....

An...
    tici...
    Pation!!!!!
    :P

Comment

I wouldn't. You'd probably end up with a bitter burnt tasting mess. I'd just add some dark brown sugar to your regular molasses to taste and or appearance. Brown sugar is simply white sugar with molasses mixed in. Light vs dark is dependent on the amount of molasses. Don't see why you couldn't just rearrange the process.

Oh and while we're on the subject, don't confuse dark molasses with blackstrap. They're 2 completely different beasties. Unless the recipe specifically calls for blackstrap, DON'T use it. You won't be happy
      Last edited by coupster; December 12, 2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I was going to suggest adding brown sugar but wasn’t sure. Like Mr. Bones , I thought it was a great question and was looking to see an answer.

Regular molasses is sweeter than dark. So to add dark brown sugar would make it sweeter. I would have to reduce the molasses but by how much.

I'm giving it a try. I know the darker the more bitter it would get.

I've never used molasses with anything. Many years ago molasses was used a lot because sugar was so expensive. Since then sugar is mass produced to the point that its very cost effective.

Comment

All you fine people don't know me but I'm the guy that prefers authentic cuisine when ever possible without short cuts. Seems most tend to use shortcuts which work most the time. But I'm 63 yrs old, old school. When I get my hook into something, I keep trying to learn how to make it better.

My wife goes crazy because she says it great. Leave it alone. Don't change nothing.

But I think it can be better so I try. And somethings it's a flop but usually it is much better at least in my book. LOL

I guess I'm a perfectionist, at least I try.

Comment

From about five minutes of internet reading, which now makes me an expert, I think your idea to further reduce it and remove the sugar that forms just might work. If it doesn't work you have a good story to tell. You should always experiment with things like this because why not.

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I did. Research the net. Made me an expert. LOL that's why I came here to ask the experts. We will see what happens. It seems to be working actually. Just letting it cool to remove the crust if it forms like I think it should. LOL

Decidedly NOT an Expert, like yall, above, , but Common Sense tells me that if dark brown sugar = mo molasses + light brown sugar, in proportion, then an equilibrium can be achieved, with due diligence, an perseverance...

Interested in hearin th results, always lookin fer substitutes, workarounds, an such...
          Versatility/Adaptibility is among th key crucial skills to have, when one's makin up some foods...

Now ya gots me wonderin...hmmmm...

Anybody out there ever smoked up any 'Mole Asses'*?
          Reckon it could be quite tasty, like on some French Vanilla ice cream, pecan pie, pancakes, etc., usw....

*Old Joke*
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 12, 2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: formattin

Comment

Well the result is in...

It worked out pretty good actually, but kind of messy.

I poured the jar of regular molasses into a pot. After taisting so I'll be able to compare, I brought it to a light boil. Reduced to a little higher than a simmer. Let it cook for about an hour stirring every once in a while.
            Removed from the heat and let it cool until it was warm to the touch of the bottom of the pan without stirring or anything.
            The top layer of molasses formed a thick goo about 1/2 inch thick. I removed this goo and what remained was molasses. Taisted less sweet than the original.
            If I had to guess, it is now dark molasses. Does not taste bad or burnt.

I still would like to hear from an expert on this matter.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet, thanks fer sharin this info, an th benefit of all yer efforts with us, Brother! Much appreciated!

If'n ya didn't throw dat "thick goo" away, I can PM ya my address...

('s right bout where I fit in, in th food chain!)

Did I miss it? Your store doesn't carry dark molasses? Just asking.

Comment

• Joetee
              Joetee commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I don't know. My daughter went to store for me and could not find it. I looked at another store and could not find it. So because I need it tonight I thought I'd make my own.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Nicely done, an many thanks fer sharin yer mad improv skillz, Brother!

"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!!!!!"

Joetee

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Molasses is probably used more this time of year than others. With baking and such for the holidays.

I learnd sumptin today. Thanks

Comment

• Joetee
              Joetee commented
              Editing a comment
              I think when we fail to learn or try new things, life can get very boring.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here