Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some photos from yesterday's 12 hour bbq cooking class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some photos from yesterday's 12 hour bbq cooking class

so, vBulletin is messing with me. I typed like 3 pages of text, and when I hit 'post' it removed it all for me. Thanks...

Yesterday I taught a bbq class (private event). 8 cookers in total. It was a full day event with a TON of food. But I guided them through it all day.

We did:
    • Brisket, served with creamed corn, bourbon beans, sauerkraut
    • Beef ribs served with blue cheese
    • pork ribs two ways (Texas style and Johnny Trigg style)
    • Iberico baby backs (Texas style and Johnny Trigg style)
    • Smash burgers, served with truffle mayo, cheddar, caramelized onion, lettuce and some other goodies
    • Butternut pumpkins, caveman grilled, served with grated parmesan
    • Whole cauliflower, curry coated and smoked. Served with a cool yoghurt/honey dip
    • Pork belly hot n fast with popped skin (cracklin's)
    • Pork belly low n slow, triple glazed with syrup, served on pumpernickel with apple sauce
    • ABTs or jalapeno poppers, with some habaneros too
    • Tiger prawns and scallops with a lemon juice/oil/fish sauce dressing, served with avocado, cilantro and chopped dry roasted peanuts.
    The lineup

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7857.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	913594

Brisket on the grill

Name:	IMG_7859.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	913592

Smoked (with pear wood) curry coated cauliflower, on a gasser

Name:	IMG_7865.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	913593
    A little rib action, spares and Iberico baby backs

Name:	IMG_7862.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	913595
    Some of the ribs getting the Johnny Trigg treatment

Name:	IMG_7867.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	913591
    TBC...

Last edited by Henrik; September 20, 2020, 05:00 AM.

I'd haveta reckon some pics went along with that post, but not showin, here, Hank...

Mornin, Sunshine!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Just updated with more posts, check again, you should be seeing all of them now I reckon.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      vBulletin hasn't had it's first cup o' joe I guess :-)

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, gots pics now...
      Kinda looks like my house, Brother...

Here are the beef ribs (Creekstone farms), getting good bark on the WSM

Name:	IMG_7869.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	913599

ABTs getting some smoke

Name:	IMG_7873.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	913597

Pork belly hot 'n fast on the PK, right before popping the skin

Name:	IMG_7874.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	913598

Time to eat those ribs and compare flavor. It's a tough job...

Name:	IMG_7871.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	913600

The brisket halfways, great bark

Name:	IMG_7870.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	913601

TBC...

Comment

Caveman grilled butternut with parmesan

Name:	IMG_7875.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	913604

Beef ribs, ready to serve. I could pull the bones out with one hand. Just like butta! Served with blue cheese.

Name:	IMG_7876.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	913605

Tiger prawns and scallops

Name:	IMG_7877.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	913603

The brisket?
      I wrapped it in butcher's paper after 5 hours, then continued smoking until tender. I showed them how to 'walk the brisket' with their hands to tell when it started to give. Let it rest in the oven at 50° C for 2.5 hours. By then I was gone, so I left them with the brisket as they had a 12 person dinner. But before I left them I checked it, and it was soft and jiggly like jello.

Key takeaways? Well, I realized yesterday I felt real comfortable doing this all day. Whatever happens, I know exactly how to handle it, workaround it, wrap or not wrap et.c. depending on time. With 8 different grills that aren't mine, and a new group of people, this is my turf, my game. Pretty awesome feeling.

Alright, no grilling today, just relaxing. Have a good one y'all!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        All of hot looks so tasty! Nicely done! Makes me want to take one of your classes!
        Last edited by Sweaty Paul; September 20, 2020, 08:15 PM.

When a feat like this comes as naturally to you as breathing, Henrik , you know you're doing exactly what you were meant to do. Not everyone is lucky enough to find that niche. I'm happy for you that you have. Enjoy the ride. You may have to quit your day job, if you haven't done so already.

Those photos are a fine testament to the crowd-pleasers that you cooked. Congrats on a job well done.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much, fzxdoc, I haven't thought of it that way, but yes. I thoroughly enjoy doing this. Hopefully I can quit my day job in a not too distant future.

Sir you can hold your head up high. You are able to pull this off with confidence and skill because you are in your happy zone.
      Your passion shines through in your food. Those people are very fortunate to have someone with your ability teaching them the right way to do things.
      Fantastic.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much. My passion definitely shines through, I've heard that comment from someone else too, and didn't think of it like that at first, but it just feels right, and I think you hit the head on the nail there. I just enjoy it so much, and people pick up on that.

Top notch work Henrik. I'm sure you are feelin' really good after knockin' it out of the park.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Ron. Yes, I'm feeling good. Relaxing today, planning for the next event in a few weeks. Life is good.

Awesome work Henrik. Although it may not actually be work if it’s that enjoyable.
      I wish I had your confidence to pull something like this off. But I’m happy just being a backyard so called Pitmaster. 😁

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve. Being a backyard pit master, and having a kick-butt smoker to boot, ain't all that bad either. And you know your way around a smoker for sure.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks brother. 👊

It truly appears you have done this before. I wants some, too. Class and eats.
      YOU DONE GOOD!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!!

Wow! What a cool experience for those who were there learning! Outstanding photos - I’m sure your guests took away so much from the time with you, and left in awe!

Comment

Any chance of sharing the secret to Pork Belly hot and fast? how big was that piece-cook time, temp, seasonings?
        That looks delicious.

Comment

This is so awesome. I would love to attended one of these classes. The thing that I love about this is that you are making other foods, other than just ribs or brisket. You throw in other stuff to show people that grilling and BBQ can be made with almost anything. Very cool perspective. It just helps the whole thing grow, and that is awesome.

BTW, the setting you have is gorgeous too. I love all of that exposed granite, So cool. Reminds me a lot of northern Minnesota, part of the reason we have so many Swedes around these parts!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! And thanks very much for seeing that perspective, mixing up, or rather, applying traditional bbq to new foods, and finding new fun flavor combos. That is where the fun is!
          I've been to many states in the US, but not Minnesota. Need to visit soon.

This post was a fantastic way to start my day! Thank you!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, thanks!

So, do you cater? Really great looking food and an impressive menu.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          No, too much work. Teaching is a lot more fun. Thanks!

That's awesome!! That's quite a day!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, quite a day, but a lot of fun! We got lucky with the weather too, that always helps.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here