Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ classes in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ classes in the US

I have a client from here in Argentina who wants to travel to the US for 15 days of intentsive BBQ classes. Various styles of BBQ Any recommendations I can pass onto him?

Heck, he can probably teach classes!!! Where do I sign up?

Comment

Well, Myron Mixon is a recommendation. I took his two-day-class, and he's good. Way friendlier and more humble in real life than he appears on TV. And he knows bbq. There are probably plenty other good teachers, let's see what the collective wisdom of the Pit will bring.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to suggest Myron Mixon as well.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like his rubs too..

I'm sure most cities have BBQ guru's that run classes from time to time but hitting on a date is the hard part.
      The big daddy would be the BBQ camp Texas A&M puts on yearly but the waiting list to go is 10 miles long. With Covid that may be a wash too.
      I'd turn him on to Youtube, that's my go to if I can't get a response on this site and that's never happened,
      someone always steps up to help.
      Youtube is theory more than practical experience but it is a very helpful blueprint .

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        I'm sure most cities have BBQ guru's that run classes from time to time but hitting on a date is the hard part.
        The big daddy would be the BBQ camp Texas A&M puts on yearly but the waiting list to go is 10 miles long. With Covid that may be a wash too.
        I'd turn him on to Youtube, that's my go to if I can't get a response on this site and that's never happened,
        someone always steps up to help.
        Youtube is theory more than practical experience but it is a very helpful blueprint .
        Malcom Reed is my go to for most things.

Comment

I've read good things about the classes Mike Mills and his daughter put on.

Comment

Arnitex, www.pitmasterclass.us, online classes and in person.

Comment

I know a few people that have been to and enjoyed either Harry Soo's bbq class (California) or Tuffy Stone's (Virginia) class.

The most delicious, tender, and succulent BBQ!

Tuffy Stone is five time Barbecue World Champion who started Cool Smoke the Official Cooking Team of Q Barbeque in 2004. Cool Smoke has won almost every major contest there is. When Tuffy is not competing, he can be found teaching others how to be award winning pit masters at his Cool Smoke BBQ School, which is widely considered to be the best in the country. He's also a recently published author, with his first cookbook 'Cool Smoke: The Art of Great Barbecue'.

No telling tho when they'll schedule more classes due to Covid19.

I know a few people that have found that Aaron Franklin's Masterclass class was well worth the money and has a lot more detail than his book or videos on YouTube. That is something your client could do now - https://www.masterclass.com/classes/...exas-style-bbq
              Last edited by Histrix; September 15, 2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup on Aaron due to COVID.

• KarchyBBQ
                KarchyBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on Aaron. His fire management episode is great. Though you only really get his central Texas style presented.

Not sure about something that would work for a schedule like that. I know several universities have several day BBQ camps in the summer (probably not this year, but...). I attended the NC State one a couple of summers ago, and I know Texas A&M has one as well, probably others. They tend to have waiting lists since they're only once a summer.

Grillbillies in the Raleigh area has some well regarded classes going on regularly, although I haven't been to one yet. https://www.grillbilliesbarbecue.com...f-2018-classes

Comment

How much is he willing to spend? I'll teach him how to burn meat the North American way!

Comment

Anyone have resources on bbq classes that are for people NOT interested in competition BBQ, but just good ol backyard, might do some catering now and then type? I am intrigued by many of the suggestions above, but besides Myron Mixon's class that talks about how he discusses holding at restaurants, etc., others all seem to be geared toward competition. I've taken many courses at Weber Grill Academy and those have been great for this purpose. Maybe Mike Mills class since they mainly run a restaurant?

Comment

• Donw
                    Donw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did the BBQ Stars video classes which had some competition information but was a really good course for improving for home cooks. I really enjoyed one of Harry Soo’s about building flavors. Meathead was one of the instructors and could give you more information about it I’m sure.

Here is a list of classes. https://amazingribs.com/links-our-fa...udging-classes

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks meathead

• wisebri224
                    wisebri224 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, thanks this helps

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here