Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MasterClass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MasterClass

Last September, I decided to gift myself a MasterClass all access for my birthday. now, a single class in $99. and if I had paid that much for one of the 'classes' I would have been REALLY unpleased.

However, $200 for an all access (and now, not when I was buying mine in September, you get an all access and one to gift as well)

Formyself, I started with the Thomas Keller classes. there are three of them. if you're a seafood person, you will LOVE the seafood, Sous Vide and Dessert class. the techniques were the reason i wanted these. Keller, Ramsay, Butturo, Franklin, Puck, Adams, Ansel, there are a lot of great culinary classes.

there's a lot of padding, too but that's OK. the best part is they are all just chatting while they work. they are sharing a LOT of teeny tiny detail about what they are doing. some you may know, some you may not know. I love Mashed Potatoes but had never been over to master the light, creamy, fluffy, silky I had always heard about. after watching both Keller and Ramsay, I picked up a couple of details from each, things they point out that seem tiny but can be key. and only the person watching knows which tiny detail is the 'key' to make them understand. My mash is much better. and I've picked up a LOT more terrific techniques. Keller gives you several great demonstrations on sauces and thickeners. and you all know my love affair with sauces.

and, of course, there's other classes too, Guitar with Carlos Santana and magic with Penn & Teller. I know I sound like an ad but frankly, I have really enjoyed these. they have allowed me to fine tuned some of my fine cooking techniques and learn some things I always wanted to try. but, I seriously doubt even Kaspirov can teach me Chess.

I've considered the Santana one....tough to make that leap though.

Have you heard of BBQStars? It's a similar concept. 107 videos from 11 top chefs & pitmasters, including Meathead, Tuffy, and Harry Soo. Registration is always a limited time deal, and it's currently open again.

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      So true, Huskee! I have a few things (non-grilling) that I have signed up for, but never can find the time to do the classes online. Since they're self-paced and I have terrible internet at home, I have to resort to doing them in my free time at work. Ha! Not very successful.

• DeanF
      DeanF commented
      Editing a comment
      a question on an old post - have you checked out BBQStars? I was looking for reviews and / or feedback on these videos but really haven't found much other then right here...

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      DeanF, I signed up for BBQStars. Some of it is great, some of it is filler. Overall, I still use it. My gauge for whether or not something is worth it is, "Do I miss the money?" Since I don’t remember how much BBQStars cost, the answer is, "No. I do not miss the money."

Aside from being 100% about taste, a lot of cooking is actually seeing what happens when something is being cooked or mixed: how do I make mine look like that? So I’m thinking about signing up. The deal is good until May 11th.

Thanx for the review Karon. I looked at this when it first came out and thought it would be nice, but a bit too pricey for me. However, if someone wanted to share the cost, I guess I could gift them.

Comment

To be perfectly honest I learned a lot about cooking and cooking techniques from watching television cooks over a quarter of a century. Back in the day (oh there's that old cliche), master chefs used to actually cook AND teach on TV. It started with Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) and Julia Child. They would have cooking classes every Sunday morning on PBS. Then it graduated to master chefs like Jacques Pepin who not only taught me how to make coq au vin but how simply and easily to truss a chicken.

On and on to the early days of the Food Network where chefs actually cooked rather than being game show hosts and reality TV stars. You know the names from Flay to Oliver to Lagasse to Brown, all lent tips and techniques and straight forward recipes I still use today. My personal favorites are Mario Batali and Ann Burrell whose hours of DVR tapes I still covet and refer to.

Now everything is $99 or $50 or Master Class this or BBQ King that. I'm sure they are enjoyable and informational but I'm just glad I grew up in a time where cooking skills were learned by reading cook books and watching actual chefs on TV giving it away for free (free to me anyway!!).

Enjoy your classes but I'm keeping my money in my wallet. Call me old school cheap.
      Last edited by Troutman; December 19, 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Graham Kerr was my introduction to gourmet cooking. I can still remember, as a kid and home from school for being sick, Graham chopping and dicing (drink a little wine), sauté and reduce (drink a little more wine) and finish the dish with a celebratory snort of a fine red wine and a slurring of words. I can truly remember saying to myself...."wow he's getting plastered on TV". But he was a lot of fun to watch.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, Food network is way into those competitions too much. And I quit my subscription to their magazine because I'm just not interested in what a celebrity kitchen looks like. There are are still a few good ones on PBS including repeats of Julia Child, and I enjoy Simply Ming, and Pati's Mexican, but those are probably reruns also. Steven Raichlen is there also. Lots of free stuff on YouTube as well.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        20 years ago, right out of college, Emeril and Rachel Ray are who taught me to cook. BAM! Hahaha. I loved watching Emeril’s show. His joy and passion to share stories and his food with the guests sitting right at the counter were fun to watch. Rachel cooked simple meals that were good and got me going. Bobby Flay’s shows on Sunday’s and the Barefoot Contessa, are still my favorite when I can find them.

Troutman is right, but unfortunately when people are maybe just getting into it, those shows don't exist anymore (as you alluded to, it is ALL 'competition' shows). I only watch DIners Drive ins and Dives to get inspiration or to find places to visit.

I have used Masterclass as well, and the techniques that they teach are priceless. You can't go into it looking for recipes - the point is to learn processes.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        Thomas Keller was the clincher for me but I was never going to buy just one class. that's way too much for just one, even from Keller. but a year pass for all of them, that is worthwhile. this looks like an inheritor of the "Great Courses" model. I wouldn't be surprised of it was the same publishing company, TBH.

I got myself one earlier this year. I have completed the first Keller class and have started Franklin. I think they are good so far.

Comment

Why not watch Harry Soo , or other bbq stars on youtube for free? Is Master Class better? I want to master competition pork ribs , chicken parts, pork butts, steaks and brisket.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I think, for cooking class and minute technique, these have been much better. the Dominique ansel was a good one on chocolate and pastry, though a bit light on content, what content was there was excellent. I've said before, i don't think TV 'chefs' give you all the info you need to replicate. these are techniques classes, not recipe vids

My wife got me MasterClass for Christmas and I love it. Aaron Franklin is fun to watch and so many others. My daughter likes the class with Penn and Teller...

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a MasterClass or two for a while now. Can you download them or are they only viewable on their site?

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            if you are considering more than one, get the years pass and you'll have them all for the same price

I don't think you can download them. I got the year pass mostly to look at the cooking ones. Think of it is as super well produced youtube videos. A lot of what's shown you can find on youtube if you want to, but I find that the instruction is on point, in ONE PLACE, and very thorough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here