Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday bbq class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday bbq class

I travelled down south in Sweden to "Älmhult", the home/birth place of IKEA. Did a full day bbq class for a bunch of people. They were meat lovers, so I held back on the greens this time. Turned out to be a good day, with nice weather and great cooking. It's fun doing classes as people are enthusiastic and you really see when they go "wow", "ah, didn't know that" et.c.

On the menu: Short ribs (from Nebraska), Iberico ribs, Secreto Iberico, Picanha (Heritage Angus), shrimp, salmon and moose roast.

We smoked it all in 7 hours.

Here's some of it

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5339.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	758494

Beef ribs going on the smoker

Name:	IMG_5340.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	758495

...and done

Name:	IMG_5341.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	758493

Did two types of Iberico ribs: sticky and dry.
    Here's the sticky ribs, about to be wrapped with buttah and sweet chili sauce:

Name:	IMG_5342.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	758492

Here they are, done:

Name:	IMG_5355.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	758496

...and some follow-up pics (didn't take photos of everything)

We cooked the Secreto Iberico on a Muurikka which is a type of frying pan (usually with three legs) for open fires. Turned out good, as the Secreto is so well marbled all that fat would go up in flames otherwise.

Name:	IMG_5359.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	758503

Name:	IMG_5360.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	758502

We finished it off with vanilla ice cream, smoked caramel sauce and roasted hazelnuts.

Name:	IMG_5361.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	758501

The only surprise (to me) was that the beef ribs didn't reach 95 deg C (203 deg F), they were probe tender already at 80 deg C (176 deg F). So I decided to take 'em off the grill and wrap 'em in a faux cambro until dinner. They were very juicy and tender, so it was the right call. Always let the meat tell you when it's done.

The biggest hit according to the students were the Picanha. We nailed every dish in this class, which was fun, but if I had to pick a winner I'm gonna agree with them on the Picanha. It was ridiculously good. Served only with lots of lime, flaked sea salt and beer. Eaten right off the cutting board.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora 90% of my meal are eaten that way. Tastes better, you are so right. Maybe because no sleep, sweat and hunger make food taste better. That’s a science thing right?

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks awesome Henrik

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure sounds scientific to me :-)
      Last edited by Henrik; October 20, 2019, 09:47 AM.

Looks great! Love the Canadian beef, eh!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes I must say that I have yet to be disappointed by the quality of Heritage Angus. Now if only they could sponsor me...😄

Great job !!!
    I am a big fan of picanha also

Comment

Outstanding fine sir!! Love the pic of the kettle and iron.

An 8 hour cook, nice!

Sound like a great time.

Comment

Sounds like a great day.

Comment

I had never heard of secreto before. I had to go look it up. Sounds amazing, but crazy expensive, at least here.

Comment

Outstanding. I had to look up secreto as well but it sure looks good. How was the moose roast​​​​​​?

Comment

The moose roast turned out superb! That one was a joker, as one of the students (a hunter) brought it. So not in the master plan, but I’m glad he did take it with him to class. Applied salt and black pepper, cooked indirect to 58 deg C, no sear, let it rest for 10 minutes, then ate it. Straight off the cutting board. I’ve done moose many times, and it’s always a winner.

the Secreto is amazing as always. Way cheaper over here. I served it as a starter on a slice of toast seared in butter in a frying pan, then some sliced peach, secreto and cilantro. Dang good.

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful writeup. Makes me wish you had been up in the BBQ teaching business when we last visited Scandinavia a few years back. I would have taken a detour for sure!

Keep these reports coming. I love hearing my stomach rumble as I read them.

And congrats on a job well done.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Kathryn!

Keep spreading the word! So proud of you!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Meathead!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here