Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event at Franklin BBQ in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event at Franklin BBQ in Austin

I don't remember signing up for emails from Franklin BBQ, but I just got one...

Aaron and Chris Shepard are having a dinner at Franklin BBQ where Aaron will cook the meats, and Chris will cook the sides using recipes from his latest book - Cook Like a Local. I thought some might be interested:

Franklin Barbecue welcomes our friend Chris Shepherd to Austin for a dinner inspired by Chris’ new cookbook, Cook Like a Local. Chris, Aaron and their teams will cook a Sunday Supper in celebration of friendship, community and damn fine food. Every guest will receive a copy of Chris’ new cookbook.  BBQ meats and steak by Aaron and Franklin Barbecue Green Beans and Japanese Curry; Shishito peppers and corn; Spicy Cucumbers; Tater Tot Casserole by Chris Shepherd and team. Beer, wine and non-alcoholic drinks provided. (Must be 21+ to enjoy alcoholic beverages). About Chris Shepherd: Midwest-raised, James Beard Award-winning Chef Chris Shepherd has helped change the landscape of the Houston culinary scene since opening Underbelly in 2012. He built the restaurant to support the Houston food community and its suppliers by buying local and drawing inspiration from the people and cultures that live in the city. Thanks to Chris’ vision and passion, Underbelly was a James Beard Award semifinalist for Best New Restaurant, was named one of the best new restaurants in the country by Bon Appetit and Esquire and was named one of 38 essential restaurants in America by Eater. Chris was named one of the 10 Best New Chefs in America by Food & Wine in 2013 and was then awarded the 2014 James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southwest. In 2017, Chris opened One Fifth, a five-year restaurant project that changes concepts every year. He closed Underbelly in March 2018 to convert the building into Georgia James, his take on a steakhouse. He also opened UB Preserv as his culinary interpretation of Houston’s evolution. He continues to tell the story of Houston food, but without limitations of locality and whole animal butchery. He formed Underbelly Hospitality in 2018 to preserve the ethos of Underbelly—learning about diverse cultures through food. In 2019, all three restaurants—UB Preserv, One Fifth Mediterranean and Georgia James—nabbed the No. 1 spot on Texas Monthly's list of the Best New Restaurants in Texas, and Georgia James was included on GQ's list of the best new restaurants in America. He was a semifinalist for the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in 2019 and was named Robb Report's Chef of the Year the same year. Chris’ first cookbook, Cook Like a Local: Flavors that Will Change the Way You Cook—and See the World, was published by Clarkson Potter in September 2019.  Chris began his fine dining career at Brennan’s of Houston, where he spent seven years in the kitchen and then ran the wine program for two. He left Brennan’s in 2006 to open Catalan Food & Wine, which was named one of Esquire’s Best New Restaurants in America that same year. Chris' foundation Southern Smoke has donated more than $1.4 million to those in the food and beverage industry in crisis and to the National MS Society, in honor of his friend who lives with multiple sclerosis.

It's $75 a head, but includes the meal and adult beverages as well as non-adult beverages...

Word must have spread fast. I clicked on the link and it says sold out.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I just read the email. I checked and it came in at 12:37 EDT, so it sold out in ~ 2 hours...

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn!

I also received it without signing up. Oh wait, I did sign up to get emails ref. Franklins new pit manufacturing business he is opening. Guessing that was the origins of being added to the email list.

Comment

This is so tempting but it is just as well that it is sold out. I'll be nearby in La Grange that weekend but plan to be home Sunday night - gotta work Monday. Not a good idea to drive from Austin to Port Arthur after eating a lot and drinking adult beverages.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Driving the 58?

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        No, The '08. Although I have taken the '58 to Austin before. I just realized that a lot of my cars, past and present, are from the eighth year of the decade: 58, 68, 78, 98, 08.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        58 is a good year! (me) Driving a 18 now a days. (2018) like playing crazy 8s!

Wait they're having a dinner AT Franklin BBQ? For who 12 of their closet friends? Unless they plan on doing it outdoors in the parking lot there ain't a venue large enough for such an occasion at Franklin's.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, they evidently sold out in about two hours.

That is a great price. I would hope into that class if I could get a spot. That would be a fun time for sure.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I would love to get to one of his classes, I use MC's rubs all the time. It would be fun. Although, I am getting a little tired of hearing about Traeger, they are everywhere. Tell me about the rubs, how you cook etc. but I'd rather not have a demo on a Traeger. GirlGrilling

• GirlGrilling
        GirlGrilling commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, yeah, the classes are too Traeger top-heavy — most definitely. But damn is the food good and the classes, though light on solid cooking tips, are still fun. And they’re a heck of a lot cheaper than Myron Mixon’s (though I just signed up for one of Myron’s in Jan. b/c I know it won’t be a grill-fomercial). Which MC rubs are you using?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a lot of the Honey Pecan and Holy Cow. I also have the Honey Hot. I am also a big fan of the Holy Gospel Rub, that stuff is damn good. GirlGrilling

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here