Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly dose of bbq class :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly dose of bbq class :-)

I did a bbq class yesterday, it was a privately arranged event. Awesome people, great fun! This class had somewhat of an international touch. Several Swedes, but even more Norwegians and 4 Americans, flewn in from Seattle. All in all 20 people. So I did the class in English (of course). My new bbq trailer with all the gear in really helps. Much easier to go to where the 'students' are.

I did a few different dishes, and they all turned out real good.

Pro salmon tip
    I've served smoked salmon with apple sauce several times now. Whenever I introduce it people give me a funny look and think: is that gonna fly? And every time, they taste it and go: wow! I can highly recommend it. The hot smokey salmon with the cool sweet apple sauce is an excellent match. Just dip/dunk a bit of salmon in a bit of sauce and taste it.

Dishes
    Either way, with so many Norwegians I was trying to impress them with a twist on a 'home cooked' meal. And they have a dish called 'ribbe'. I figured pork belly is close enough. So I had them smoke the pork belly with cherry wood chunks. Then they glazed it with a dark golden syrup. It contains a lot more molasses, so it has a much richer, deeper flavor. It's like comparing muscovado sugar to brown sugar. I served the pork belly sliced on a dark rye bread, with spinach leaves and Sauerkraut on top. It was a big hit. According to some people the Norwegians like their sauerkraut with some cumin in it, and lightly sweetened too. I didn't know that, so I served 'regular' sauerkraut. What say you Elton's BBQ ? i also did some big fat ribeyes, and my smoked caramel sauce for dessert.

Here are (very few) pictures. With 20 people to 'manage', I was busy. The nice thing is that they were great hosts, and had a full table of beverages: beer, wine, soda, you name it.

Best surprise
    I got tired of waiting for briquettes to come up to temp. So I bought a "BBQ Jet", which is a stationary Looftligher. You just place your chimney starter on it, turn it on, and within minutes the whole chimney is fully lit. Wow, I absolutely love it! And it's so fast!! I wonder how I have managed without one for so long.

My new favorite toy

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4932.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	731541

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	731538

The drink table (somewhat emptied). Should be mandatory on all bbq classes :-)

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	731537

The lineup

Name:	IMG_4934.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	731540

Pork belly. Damn, I love pork!

Name:	IMG_4938.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	731542

And here they are on the plate, ready to go out as appetizers

Name:	IMG_4939.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	731539

Next week: new class. This time a corporate event. They wanted more veggies, so I plan on doing two meats (one is gonna be a smoked Kobe), two veggies, and two desserts. Stay tuned!

Hank - over and out!

Oh yeah Henrik sauerkraut works excellent along "ribbe" !
    Looks like you guys had a blast with bevrages and cooking..
    Cool to hear that it was a multinational class!
    Great shots btw! πŸ‘

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy!

That looks like a fun time Henrik.

Comment

Where did did you have the course?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It was outside Mariefred in Sweden, a small town/village by the sea. Very nice settings.

Wow,, looks lika great day was had by all. I am sure the bbq classes will be popular there also. Satisfying teaching people how to bbq correctly so they then know what to aim for.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        So true. Teaching is very rewarding.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing I hate seeing more than Fu*%$ked up bbq . When people ruin a great piece of meat it is a crime...

I think it's time to quit your day job, Henrik . What a nice event--well designed with great results. You've found your calling.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc If I remember right Henrik already did. I think about a year ago. Doing freelance work now. I could be wrong though. 😬😁

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B is in the know. I am doing freelance work. Would loove to do this full time. Soon, soon (I'm hoping). Thank you Kathryn!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Haaaaa Henrik I’m not brain dead yet after all. πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Looks like a great day Henrik

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B Nope Henrik is saving his Swedish Crowns to attend https://www.churrascadafestival.com/ next year 2020 with me. (I have not told him yet so keep it a secret). Y'all can come too it's a serious party..

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora Γ°ΕΈΒ€ΒπŸ˜πŸ˜‚

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        That sure looks like a festival up my alley.

Awesome event! Well done. When I googled BBQ Jet, I came across this. My MCS has kicked into high gear.

Here's a short video - https://youtu.be/_XaArdTYF0c

Click image for larger version  Name:	bbqjet.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.1 KB ID:	731608
      Last edited by pkadare; August 18, 2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I need to step up my bbq jet game, that's for sure! Must have gotten the brand X version. I want that big blue monster in my back yard!

The line up pic is great, looks like an idyllic meadow of kettles all serenely grazing away.
      Excellent work as always.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you SMOKIN fool!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here