Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 tips from pitmasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 tips from pitmasters

I am writing an article for my website (In Spanish where I sell my bbq pits) and am going to do a page with 100 tips from pitmasters.
    So if anyone wants to offer any tips lets see them.
    Not really looking for competition tips as we don't have BBQ comps in Argentina.
    Gracias

Seeing some views on this but no responses so far, so I figured I’d share some things I’ve picked up along the way and see if others jump in as well. 😇

These have been game changers for me, and they have significantly improved my results in the BBQ arena. I’m including where I picked them up at, and please feel free to use or discard them as you see fit.

1) At the end of a brisket cook, wrap a clean towel around the brisket (over the foil of course) and put it in a cooler for a minimum of an hour - four hours is better. The difference in the finished product is like magic. (Courtesy Pit Barrel Cooker website)

2) Dry brine your meat with salt the night before cooking. Sprinkling kosher salt, using the same amount you would if you were salting it at the dinner table, and sticking it back in the refrigerator overnight will make it juicier, more tender and more flavorful - and you’ll never taste the salt itself unless you go SERIOUSLY overboard with it. (Courtesy Amazing Ribs website)

3) Slice your meat across the grain, not with the grain, when carving. Serving it that way makes for a softer chew, and increases the perceived tenderness of the meat. (Courtesy Steven Raichelin)

4) Fire has a way of making flavors pop in unexpected ways. Don’t be afraid to experiment with things you don’t normally think of as "grill food". If you’ve never experienced grilled pineapple slices, grilled peaches or even grilled strawberries, you’re missing out. (Courtesy my dear old Dad)
    Last edited by gdsim1; August 1, 2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

There are no rules on the kitchen or bedroom. - Meathead.

A thermometer is worth it’s weight in Wagyu brisket. - me

There is no one perfect cooker. There is no perfect cook. There is no single recipe for anything. Everything works, more or less. - me.

Dont be a judgey jerk. - me.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      worth way more than that, lol.

Every hunk of meat is different and will be done when it's done.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      This one is key.

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. It’s hard and counterintuitive to switch pre-bbq pit master mindsets from cooking for a set period of "Time" to "Doneness".

Crumbled up aluminum foil makes a great scrapper for cleaning grills, grates, and the chimney.

Comment

Grill marks are for amateurs.

Don't fear the apple cider vinegar, use it, love it.

Comment

• gdsim1
        gdsim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! I was one of em, til Meathead made me smarter. 😃🙌

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll never understand why "the perfect grill mark" is needed to score high in a steak cookoff. I get appearance, but it adds nothing.

• Jemezgracie
        Jemezgracie commented
        Editing a comment
        What is the ACV for?

One more - smoke packets when grilling. If part of your cook involves closing the lid (when using the "seat in the rear" technique for example), this imparts a smokiness to the finished product that really makes it pop.

Take Ken a small handful of wood chips, and wrap them up tightly in tinfoil. Poke a couple holes in one side of the tinfoil, and put the packet on top of the coals with the holes facing up right before you close the lid.

The chips will combust fairly quickly compared to a wood chunk, and is just enough to put a hint of smoke in the meat without overwhelming it. (Courtesy Stephen Raichelin)

Comment

Wood chunks on charcoal, instant read thermometer, managing the vents, stacking and lighting the charcoal.

Comment

Don’t take things to seriously, it’s food, enjoy it! Work hard at cooking & learn, but enjoy!

Comment

• Woodson
            Woodson commented
            Editing a comment
            Best tip!

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes by all means and remind them not every smoke or grill out will turn out perfectly.

Don't be afraid of trying anything.

Comment

Learn how your cooker works with dry runs before attempting first cook.
            Keep to the basics while learning.
            Practice practice and some more
            Don't get overly concerned if the cooking chamber temps fluctuate a bit during the cook. (I did).

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly, 225* is not the only temp you have to cook at.

• GirlGrilling
              GirlGrilling commented
              Editing a comment
              Seconding holehogg. Temp fluctuations when you’re smoking can be a GOOD thing.

There's no margin for error in cook times....just ask my wife, when she's hungry that meal had better be on the table....

Comment

• GirlGrilling
              GirlGrilling commented
              Editing a comment
              I just lower all expectations. When I’m asked, "When will it be ready? Are we there yet?" I just say I have no earthly idea. Serve her some triple-cream brie and a hot crusty baguette while she’s waiting and she’ll be content. You simply can’t rush a brisket and it’s no fun when you do. Results aren’t usually so great, either (at least, mine aren’t).

• Jake435
              Jake435 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ugh, if i had a dollar for every time we've eaten that night's dinner the next day. Judging and navigating the preverbal Stall is everything -- really changed my game and my relationship with my wife.

Don’t worry if the cook seems to be going wrong, have a beer and relax. The cooks that seem to be going wrong usually turn out the best.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Several beers could be in order then switch to bourbons or ryes

1) First and always ask yourself, how will this food be used and when?

2) Mise en Place. To and including the dishes, utensils, towels, landing spots.

3) Always and always add extra time. Especially for resting if needed, portioning, plating and or service.

4) Don’t wait to Hydrate.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey Exactly!

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              #4) Hydration is the key....hold it, we talking the meat or the cook????

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              mise en place is THE most important thing to learn when cooking.

choose your binder according to the meat and rub. I like Mayo for fish, and chicken; mustard for pork, and hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce for beef. Season agressivly. Cook to temp, not time. MOST IMPORTANTLY, DONT TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLY, BBQ SHOULD BE FUN!

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I recently tried mayo as a binder for ribs, sorry wibs, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.
              So experiment recipes are written on paper not stone.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here