Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 tips from pitmasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, my name is Chris. I’m kind of new to the BBQ/smoking community. My wonderful family got me a Masterbuilt 560 for my birthday and they asked me to do a brisket. I have watched a ton of videos and and did some research. I am still learning to navigate around this forum that is absolutely loaded with information. Can anyone out there give me some good tips using this specific grill/smoker? I’m gonna use kosher salt, coarse pepper and maybe some garlic as my rub, I was thinking if either mustard or Worcestershire for my binder. I’m gonna prep tonight to smoke in the morning. My hang up is the temperature. This is my very first brisket and I don’t wanna mess it up. It’s 9.5 lbs certified angus beef. Any feedback would be awesome!! Thanks everyone in advance and I look forward to chatting it up on here. I wanna learn from the pros!!

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I own a 560 so happy to take questions if you have any.

I’ve posted a lot of tips and tricks over here

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      With all respect to Pit brother Draznnl , I think the stall is too early to wrap. I would wait until the bark is set firm (Harry Soo scratch test) and the fat cap has rendered before wrapping. This will help prevent the bark from getting soft and sloughing off. I would strongly prefer to wrap in pink butcher paper over foil - again to help preserve the bark. As for temp, I have started shooting for 275°F for brisket. It helps shorten the cook time and gives time for a longer rest.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cont'd - Don't judge doneness by temperature. It's done when it is probe tender in both the flat and the point. Start probing for doneness when the IT hits about 190°F and every 15-30 minutes thereafter. A long cambro/cooler rest is better than a short one. Leave out a room temperature until the IT drops to around 180°F before cambro-ing to avoid overcooking.

Welcome to The Pit HappyGilmore242 .

Two tips:

It's done when it's done - not at a specific temp. Cook until a probe goes in like a knife in soft butter. That will normally be around 200° to 205°, but could be higher or lower. Check all over for tenderness.

I suggest cooking around 250° to 275°, but don't worry if it goes a bit lower or higher. A higher temp will cook the brisket faster with no noticeable change in the end product.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great minds think alike! 😁

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here