Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs 201 at Grillbillies BBQ Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs 201 at Grillbillies BBQ Supply

My dad and I made the trip to GrillBillies in NC for the third time to attend one of their classes...This class was called Ribs 201, and was meant for people than had attended the Ribs 101 class and want to learn more advanced techniques.

The class had 22 students which were then divided into 2 teams of 11...each team was partnered with a pitmaster from a professional competition team as the mentor...My dad was on the team lead by Brian from Mutley Crew and I was on the team lead by George from Twisted Pair BBQ...

Each student was given a rack of spare ribs to prep and cook. The mentors went over how they trim ribs and then went through different seasoning combinations that they use for the rub, the wrap and eventually the glaze. Then we were able to choose how we wanted to prep and season or ribs.

My teams mentor didn’t focus on a competition Ribs but more along the lines of a rib that would be good as an appetizer for a party where guests would likely only eat one or two bones versus a whole rack.

When everyone’s ribs were done each team selected three racks to be submitted for blond box judging.

My my team won the overall by 2 points and my ribs tied for first overall. I am pretty pleased with my outcome. I won my first competition, I should quit now while I am ahead.

Here are are some pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D2144DE8-FB6C-409D-9284-44496D3DBD69.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	721839

Name:	527FE232-8093-4EA4-8AFE-E8FBB35E6509.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	721841

Name:	97B850CA-7871-4D9F-B01A-A7DE64E5EA36.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	721840

Name:	506DBAEB-0A75-4E38-A26B-3982D3D7713D.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	721843

Name:	8B3F2B44-6AED-4210-99B0-A25ED2BF00A2.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	721842

Overall it looks like you did a great job, congrats on the first place win !!

Comment

LARD HAVE MERCY, congrats! Heading over there on Wednesday to restock, I really should make time for a class. I noticed there’s a Turkey & Brisket one in November.

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        FishTalesNC I’ve really enjoyed all of their classes. It’s a 2.5 hour drive for me to get their and it is worth it. They take good care of the attendees, they feed you well and there is plenty of cold beer if you wish to partake.

Great write up, looks like a cool learnin opportunity, great that ya could share that experience with yer Dad!
      Congrats on yer Win, as well!

Comment

Sounds like a great time. I sure am interested in what "blond box" judging is though...

Comment

Congratulations! Is 301 next?

Comment

DAYUM those ribs are fricking BEAUTIFUL man!!! 😍 Congrats on the win, and EXCELLENT JOB!!! 👍

Comment

Looks like a great time. Congrats. Amd now you can retire undefeated

Comment

any pointers, or revelations?

Comment

Nothing too earth shattering...Dad and I were on different teams so we got to compare notes (so to speak), his team injected their ribs while our team did not...My team had a more complex combination when we wrapped than the other team.

If you attend Grillbillies classes or just talk to the staff at the Rub and Sauce tasting table they are big on triple layering your rub with a Salt Layer, a Heat Layer and a Sweet Layer...The coach on my team also follow that process so he had several different combinations we could use...Several people chose to use the Heath Riles Combo of his Garlic Jalapeno Rub, Pecan Rub, and Honey Chipotle Rub...I veered a little and had taken some of my 17th St Magic Dust and swapped that out for the Honey Chipotle Rub...

Like all of the classes I have been to, not just for cooking but for work as well...Most of the information provided isn't anything that new or revolutionary it is usually just a new way to look at things in a different way. Will I always do everything I learned in the class, no, but I will use different tricks and techniques from the class.

Comment

I'm curious about if all the competition cooks wrap their ribs. I never do and and am generally very happy with how they turn out.

Comment

• clb239
                      clb239 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      All of them I have ever seen wrap. Since they are trying to add as much flavor and richness as they can with the butter, brown sugar, honey, etc...

Congrats on your win and like was said above, retire now with bragging rights

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here