Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hank's True BBQ cooking class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hank's True BBQ cooking class

I held a barbecue workshop/class today, together with a local bbq store. It was 8AM - 4PM, and it was great fun! The weather was good almost all day. I had my students do five different dishes to practice various types of cooks and techniques. First out was smoked shrimp. Then on to smoked salmon. We then trimmed and prepped ribs, and put them on the grills. Then on to Picanha, two styles, then big fat ribeyes. Finally we ate the ribs. Throughout the day I explained a lot of theory, all related to what they were practicing during the day. I even bought a small whiteboard to help explain things.

All in all the food turned out great, and I had a good time. More classes are planned, I look forward to tweaking a few minor things before giving the next class.

Here are a few pics from the event. As a teacher I didn't have lots of time, so I didn't get to take a lot of photos, but here goes.

Students devouring smoked shrimp. Served on butcher's paper. Keeping it simple!

Click image for larger version

Name:	barbecue-kurs-1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	677270

Next up: smoked salmon

Name:	barbecue-kurs-2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	677272

Here are some ribs, looking real good if I may say so:

Name:	barbecue-kurs-5.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	677271

Here's one picanha, did a few with searing vs no searing, so they could taste the difference

Name:	barbecue-kurs-4.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	677268

Big fat ribeyes, 2" thick. I had them all do some serious reverse sear training.

Name:	barbecue-kurs-3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	677269

We used Napoleon grills. I had the students pair up. I haven't used this brand before, and I'm not too impressed with build quality. Also they were a lot harder to adjust temps on with the top and bottom vent. I'd take a used Weber kettle off of craig's list any day over a new Napoleon. Good thing I had a Slow 'N Sear for all of them.

Fine Job, Teacher!

Great lookin food, though my heart pangs fer a seared ribeye shot, if ya happened to git any...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Sorry ‘bout the missing ribeye shots, but they kept me busy. Next time though :-)

Looks like a fun class. Congrats!

Comment

Did you mention I support you in almost everything you do?
      Great food! Great pics!

One thing, you are a little harsh on the Napoleons, hmmm.
      Last edited by FireMan; May 11, 2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m gonna use them a few more times, I may warm up to ‘em after we spend a little more time together :-)

Would be cool to attend.. so i have a good excuse to go to the Stockholm area..

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s stopping you ??

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Bring da ruckus :-)

This would be a great time!

Comment

Beast mode !!! Fine job my friend, wish I’d been there to enjoy/help with the cook !!!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Troutman, cooking side by side would be awesome!

My school classes were not that much fun.

Comment

Fantastic.
          Sure they learnt a lot from a well schooled teacher.
          Anybody take home a slow & dear?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            They wanted, but I honestly think they forgot during the whole day’s hustle n bustle.

Speaking as a former college instructor, it sounds like you did a great job with your class. Five dishes in 8 hours is an ambitious plan, and I bet you were very busy the whole time. I imagine you did not need to stop for lunch -- I'm sure that helped!

Comment

That sounds like a lot of fun Henrik.

My wife mentioned a cooking class one time. My comment was "How much are they willin' to pay me to teach it?". She hasn't mentioned any cookin' classes since.

Comment

My first thoughts were.... Where did they find crawfish in Sweden?? looks great!!! Judging by the flowers on the tree, Spring has arrived there...

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Crawfish is very big in Sweden, there’s plenty available. But this is smoked shrimp. And yes, finally nice and warm out!

Wow Henrik. I wish I lived closer to you! That all sounds fun!
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Don't know how I missed this, but looks like a lot of fun!

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure was! Doing another class on Saturday. Bigger, and hopefully better :-)

Wow great class. I loved visiting Norway and Sweden when I was in the Navy back in the late 70's, never made it to Stockholm though. Just plain beautiful country you live in.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here