Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60$ worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 50/50 on that. Sure you could watch YouTube videos and learn the same things for free. But if you're a social person, you can't ask questions, meet new friends, and chat about BBQ with a video. A class is also an experience. Me personally though, I wouldn't. I read Mh's Texas brisket article 15 times before my first attempt many years ago and it was all I needed, and was free. But I'm not much of a go-to-a-class person. 4 years of college later in life ruined me for that.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I talk to my videos all the time....problem is they don't talk back

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I was way ahead of you, one year of Kindergarten did it for me, the twelve additional forced years was the icing on the top.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman with proper medication you get anything to talk back to you......even things that aren't there!

I personally don't do well in class settings. I love to figure it out on my own with research, trial and error. That's the fun part of this to me. Yes you will have some boo boos but that is how I learn. With that said I would love to attend a Harry Soo class one day. That guys energy and passion for BBQ is contagious.

Comment

I've been going back and forth on this since you posted. I am concerned with the "amateur" status, but if you are a people person, I'm thinking you should go. Just don't expect too much. It could be a fun day, and you might make some friends. And keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there spouting garbage, (following their instructions could produce garbage...).
      Do ask where the best place to buy meat is.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the same thing. Then again, someone like Jerod would be considered "amateur", yet we know he'd instruct a class probably far better than some competition pitmasters.

Gosh, what an awful experience, ComfortablyNumb . I hope they refunded your money to you.

Good point about not having to pay for camaraderie, but that's not the only plus (or at least it shouldn't be) from a well-reviewed class--assuming it is well-reviewed.

Over the years I've taken some classes in various interests and not only learned a lot but made a few friends along the way. Everyone's mileage varies, I guess.

Kathryn

Comment

OSB, Personally I Need Some Of Each❓ Let Me Preface By Saying, In 2014 I Had Owned A Weber Grill For 35 - 40 Yrs and For Part Of That Time I Traveled The SE US❗️ I Commuted To Work From Fargo To 11 SE States❓ I Develoved A Well Enhanced Taste For GODD SEAFOOD And BETTER BBQ‼️ Which I Tried To Make On My Weber Kettle, EDIBLE BUT NOT GOOD❓ In 2014 I Attended A BBQ CLASS At NDSU Called "THE BBQ BOOTCAMP", Hosted By The MEAT LAB at NDSU, THE ANIMAL And RANGE SCIENCE DEPT, THE FOOD And NUTRITION DEPTS and CARNIVOIRE CATERING‼️ I Have Been Back To It 4 Times and Plan To Go Again In August‼️ I've Learned Something Every Time‼️
        Also in 2014 I Discovered AMAZINGRIBS.COM and The "PIT CLUB"‼️‼️ 🤗 😇 🤗 The Members Here, In Particular Huskee and @AbcBbqDave In Particular Taught Me About LOW 'N SLOW, PROPER VENT SETTINGS, SLOW 'N SEAR, DRIP GRIDDLE, RUBS, BRINES AND SEASONINGS FOR A START‼️❓‼️
        Then These "BA----S" From MEATHEAD On Down Stuck Their Hand In My Pocket❗️ To Help Me Buy What Ever Was The Latest Product At The Time❓ It Cost Me A Bloody Fortune But I Can Honestly Say No One Intentionally Gave Me Poor Advice‼️ Amongst The Best I Received Was To Buy The Following:
        1: A Thermopen Classic Instant Read Thermometer By ThermoWorks
        2: A Maverick 733 Dual Probe Leave In Transmitting Thermometer

With The Help Of The BBQBOOTCAMP and The "PIT CLUB MEMBERS" I Can Honestly Say "A FEW MORE
        PRACTICE RUNS" My Cooks Might "TASTE LIKE REAL BBQ" ❓❓❓ 🤗 😇 🤗 Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 23, 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

thanks to everyone! this place is the best, its what made me able to turn out an awesome pulled pork since I got into bbq just last summer after being sooooo disappointed after going to a bbq rib fest for the second time and all multiple vendors tasted like crock pot bbq.... that's what made me want to figure out how to do it myself, and this is the place that made it happen.

My first try at pulled pork about the 2nd best I ever had.( and ive had a lot) thank you all and meat head for the knowledge and support, I always tell everyone about this exciting place

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Sad about the vendors, isn't it? That still what most humans think pulled pork is.

Well, I don't think it's that expensive, and I think taking classes are fun. They're fun for various reasons. Sometime because you meet great people, sometimes because they teach you something you didn't know, and (also important) you get to learn what not to do. Either way, go ahead, take the class, have some fun, eat good food. That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here