Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Hog Butchery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Hog Butchery

Though I've been in the restaurant business my whole adult life I had never seen a whole animal carcass broken down into its primal and sub primal groups before. Until last Saturday. There is a Charcuterie shop in Napa Ca. called the Fatted Calf that gives classes in whole hog butchery as well as sausage and salumi making. It was a small class of ten. The instructors were very knowledgeable and kept the class moving with good humor. They say repetition is the best teacher and one class does not a good butcher make, but having a bit of insight into where all these different parts come from is a good start.

I've done several hogs and have four ready now, just waiting for the weather to warm up (I know, that sounds odd) When I do it I'll take several pictures and post them on my farm journal thread.

Comment

That's the husband and wife team who do good work. Their names escapes me. Education like that is priceless.

Comment

Love to take a class like that. Will probably never have the opportunity to break down a whole hog or steer but it does fascinate me. I always hang in the butcher shop and ask nosey questions

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          This book may be of interest if you can't get round to live. Has a CD with 800 slides on "how to", in addition to all the great info in the text. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks EdF , I have seen that book, I may go for it. One of a dozen things of interest to me that I will probably never do !!!

I agree with overeasy, I strongly recommend this to any carnivore if you have the chance. I butcher my deer harvests every year, the knowledge was handed down to me and i plan on teaching it to my son and daughter as well. Gives me an added appreciation for taking an animal. Doing it right takes time and effort, so when I release that arrow or pull the trigger...the real work begins. Skinning, cleaning, cooling, hanging, aging, boning, cuting, pacakging, grinding. It' a process. I can appreciate the guys who do steer, hogs, moose, elk...much bigger animals than a whitetail deer.

Comment

For those interested in a class, I attended a pig harvest with Farmstead Meatsmith. He mostly does them in the PNW, but does occasionally travel. The harvest I attended was in Zillah, WA at an orchard of a mead maker. The host was generous to let us from out of town camp out and invited us to supper. I attended as an observer, however he does have spots for hands on for those who might otherwise never have the opportunity to do their own.

Comment

I've Been Arround Butchering and Meat Cutting Ever Since I Was In Knee Pants❗️ Probably the Legs Were Worn Off❓ I Think This Should Be a Mandatory Requirement for High School Graduation❗️ Both the Boys and Girls Need to Be Required to Attend‼️ A Little Less "Phsyco Babble" and a Little More Practical Experience Would Be Of Benefit to All‼️ In My Opinion a Practical Education of What We Carnivoire's Are and What Dead Is, I Think We Might Have Fewer School Shootings❓ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea they said the same thing about auto mechanics in my high school

Bon Appetite has some great videos on YouTube of breaking down a half a hog, half a steer and I even think a goat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here