Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myron Mixon 'Jack's Old South Cooking School'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myron Mixon 'Jack's Old South Cooking School'

Hi, I have a couple questions for my forum friends who live in the south, namely in the general vicinity of Unadilla Georgia.

As my passion for BBQ grows, my thirst for knowledge follows just behind. I've been to Harry Soo's class twice, taken quite a few classes @ The Woodshed in Anaheim which were incredible and of course have learned quite a bit from this forum.

I think about bbq constantly, sometimes it's all I think about - hope my gf doesn't read this ... lol

I find myself wanting to attend Myron Mixon's 3 day class which he holds at his home in Georgia. I've done my research and all reviews say his school is second to none - I'm thinking @ $700 dollars it better be.

So my question is, what is there to do in the surrounding vicinity of Unadilla? I'll be traveling alone and I'd like to see some of the south in the 4 or 5 days I'll be there as I might not ever pass that way again ...

As I write this, I'm looking at a map of Unadilla, boy' ... it seems to be in the middle of nowhere ...lol

Tim

What advantages does Mixon's school have over the classes you have already taken?

Comment

• SoCalTim
      SoCalTim commented
      Editing a comment
      RanchoStarvo, first off, it's Myron Mixon but more importantly he does World Class Hog, among other things. I want to learn from the man himself, sometimes youtube just doesn't cut it.

I took the class back in June 16, honestly I was more than satisfied. I ordered a Myron Mixon Smoker 72XC and after the class I was more affirmed and glad about the purchase. You get to play with a dozen smokers in a backyard.

I forgot how much was smoked over the weekend, I can imagine well more than a 2000lb. A Very nice small quiet town, I enjoyed the solitude. Can't underline enough how nice and hospitable everyone was, The Crew and the participants.

The participants were around 30 or so. Other than learning quite a lot especially the secret techniques, boy does that guy has a few tricks up his sleeve. Mainly with injections and rubs. You also get all your questions answered. Its pretty much hands on, but get quite difficult to share preping a brisket between a group of 4 (total 10 briskets). But with ribs and chicken everyone gets to do their share.

The snake river farms wagyu brisket burnt ends...literally knocked me down. I just had 2 pieces, sat down and stayed quiet for while contemplating life.

Even the whole hog, I never imagined it to be that good. I came for a BBQ/Brisket research trip and left with finally understand why hog is king. 200lb hog, smoked from the start in loosely wrapped foil in an H2O smoker, man the crisp defied gods! You get to taste everything, no shortage whatsoever. you even go back with a baggie, or a fill a cooler if you have one. I think you get your money's worth from eating alone, if you want to to push it.

If you have any questions, more than glad to help.

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Great post! These schools are fun and this makes me want to try Myron's! I've also thought about Rich Robin's @ Gator Pits. Did you make any friends that you stay in touch with? That happened to me at a school I attended with the guys from 3 Eyz BBQ.

• fetyani
      fetyani commented
      Editing a comment
      To be honest I wouldn't mind going again just for the fun of it. Issue is class fee + hotel + transportation + flight. overall might be too much.
      I was in touch with 2 guys for a while, now not so much.

Some photos of the class,
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, just terrifc - thank you for posting this.

fetyani, you've sort of been hiding on us a bit then you drop this bomb on us. Great picture story! Just outstanding!

Comment

Yep, love this stuff! I took a class with Myron in Sweden last year. Wasn't that impressed, he could have been a lot more professional. I'm glad this one turned out so much better! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• fetyani
        fetyani commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe they're more comfortable in their own space. Set-up was nice and spacious. Food & snacks always available (Fried Cat Fish, Peach Pie..), Keg was always replaced on time!
        Attendance was i think 35, there were +5 pit-crew from the team there answering all questions. BBQ conversations were endless. you get a chance to get to know almost everyone and share stories.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds great, again, I'm glad it went so well. Would love to take another class, in the US.

• fetyani
        fetyani commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I would. Even if the cost of the class out weighs the newly learned information... I still have fun, practice, and you'll at least learn a neat trick or 2 whether from the class or participants.
        I took a 2-day BBQ class at The Culinary Institue of America. Quite remarkable, especially from the point view of a professional kitchen,
        I'll post soon about my US tour trip.

fetyani thanks for the photos and the story. Have you used your new smoker yet? How do you like it?

Kathryn

Comment

• fetyani
        fetyani commented
        Editing a comment
        Well not yet.... They did deliver it in time (6 weeks wait) but at the moment its in storage in New Jersey waiting to be shipped internationally (to Saudi Arabia). It will be for a new restaurant im opening here, so waiting for other items to ship altogether. should receive it by November/December... The anticipation is killing me!

This was great to see some reviews and photos..the promised 2018 Valentine's Day present is the class of my choice...and this one is at the top of the list...thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here