Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN BBQ Class!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MN BBQ Class!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I would post this if anyone in the St Paul Minnesota area is interested in attending. I went last year and it was a very good day long class IMO. Great food too!http://mnbbqsociety.com/2017/02/15/s...training-2017/
    Last edited by Spinaker; April 8, 2017, 04:07 PM.

Skip, let's do it man! I totally on board.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm registered! PM me so we can meet when we get there.

Skip, I am going to give this Serious Consideration but only if You and Spinaker consider coming to The BBQ Boot Camp at the NDSU Meat Sciences Dept in Fargo ND! I will get the info up directly! Also You want to Give Serious Considration to the "Sticky 'n Dickey Rib Cook Off", I'll get the Contact Info NoDak up Directly!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Skip, Spinaker, At 5:00PM Last Night Chuck of the MNBBQ Society informed Me that there Were 10 People on the Wait List Ahead of "Me" ❓. We Canceled the Room Reservation, Had to be done by Midnight or Pay❓. New World Out There in the Home of Gus Hall? I used to Travel Through the Twin Cities and if I got Stuck I would Walk Into a Hotel or Motel and Ask for a Room If They Didn't Have One I Would Give Them a little card I carried and They Would Find Me a Room❓ In any case Gents I will Not Be There 😭😭😭❓. I Hate that This Is The Way It Worked Out, It would have been the First Time for Me to Personally Meet one of "THE WHEELS" from AmazingRibs.Com or "The Pit"! Spinaker, MR. MODERATOR SIR! It Makes Me Sad Skip that I have to Let You Do The Heavy Lifting at Running Up Spin's Bar Tab❓. However, the More I Think About It Skip, after Spending a Week on a Beach In The Caribbean with Meathead You Are Just The Man For The Job. Have a Ball Fellers and Know I am envious as Hell of You!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, did I read that correctly, Skip is getting everyone's bar tabs?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn, wish you could make it. I am really looking forward to this one. There is always next year. We will have to get signed up earlier next year, because I almost didn't make the cut either.

Danjohnston949 Sorry you can't make it! It would have been nice to meet you in person. No drinking at this one Huskee . We need to save room for "Lunch". Last year there was so much to eat that I couldn't believe it and believe me I'm a BIG believer in eating.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gent's Have Fun! Just Remember We Have The World Largest Turkey BBQ, 3 Sat in June, NDSU BBQ BootCamp, Sweet & Stickey in Dickey Rib CookOff, NDStateBBQChampionship @ Scheel's Hdw Sat Sept 16 2017! Ya'll Come N'w Her'!
        From a Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This is gonna be fun. Hopefully I fit in those auditorium seats! Hated those in college. And I ain't at my playin' weight no more! LOL

Originally posted by Skip View Post
      Danjohnston949 Sorry you can't make it! It would have been nice to meet you in person. No drinking at this one Huskee . We need to save room for "Lunch". Last year there was so much to eat that I couldn't believe it and believe me I'm a BIG believer in eating.
      This is gonna be fun. Hopefully I will fit into those auditorium seats! Hated those in college. And I ain't at my playin' weight no more! LOL

Comment

Well...... I just got home from the MN BBQ Society Spring Training! Skip and I had a blast. It was great to finally have the chance to meet Skip in person! Great guy! We had an awesome time chatting all day about BBQ and life! (Maybe at this point they are one in the same.....)
        Everything kicked off at about 7:30 this morning with Coffee and donuts. I met up with Skip, we found our seats and then were able to take a tour of the University of Minnesota Meat Science Lab. This was a really cool experience. The Graduate Students took us into the slaughter and processing area.( Lots of stainless!) the cold storage and smokers! (You should see the automation on this sucker!) They had dual stainless smokers that have meat racks wheeled into them for smoking jerky and other meats. They didn't mind if we took some photos, so I snapped a few of the smokers. (Check out the Gasket on that baby)

Click image for larger version

Name:	U Of M Meat Science:Smoker.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	302017Click image for larger version

Name:	U of M Mear Science:Door Gasket.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	302016Click image for larger version

Name:	U of M Meat Science Smoker:Inside.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	302014
        After the tour, the class started with a power-point presentation from a Dr. Ryan Cox and his crew from Iowa State University. We went through the science of meat with him and his assistants, who were very knowledgeable. This part of the class was great. A lot of in depth information on proteins, fats and how they interact with heat and time. The next session was my favorite.
        They broke down a whole hog in to all of the common BBQ cuts. This was very cool to watch. Watching them work with knives was a humbling experience. LOL! I have a looooong way to go! And I think I need one of those bone saws!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	U of M Meat Science:Hog Breakdown.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	302015Click image for larger version

Name:	U of M Meat Science:Hog Break Down Cuts.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	302018

Comment

Next, we had a seminar from Charlie Torgenson from Charlie T's Foods. He spoke mostly about new approaches to BBQ. He let us try some of his pulled pork and it was fantastic. He as a big Bbq shack at the Minnesota State fair that pounds out some killer BBQ like crazy. He mentioned cooking a lot of different cuts that we normally don't use. This was interesting and I loved his delivery but I was not terribly interested in this portion of the class. It was still fun to give a listen but I wasn't taking any notes.
          Next, we had "Lunch", at least thats what they called it. This was the most insane "lunch" I have even seen at any BBQ class. We had Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, Sausage, Cheesy Potatoes, Beans, Slaw, Cream Corn, Corn Bread, Brownies and some fruit......I think. It was all very very good. Better than any catered food I have had any where else. The ribs and brisket were highlights for me. They were running Southern Pride smokers to make everything. So it was no surprise, really.

I know Skip loved it too!

After lunch we listened to a competition team speak about life on the road, some tips and tricks to competing and all the gadgets that go with it. This was pretty interesting but Skip and I already knew what all of this stuff was, because of MCS!!
          The last portion was sausage making. This was really cool. They took all the trimmings from the hog they broke down and cubed it. Next, they showed us how to mix in our seasonings with the meat before grinding an how to properly grind the meat to achieve proper texture and color. Then finally how to make single and link sausage off of the grinder.

All in all this was an awesome time! It was great to spend time with a fellow Pit member in person! I know Skip and I are in for next year, I hope we can get more folks to join us!!! This really is a fun-filled day with a lot of really nice people.

Thanks again to Skip for getting up at 4:30 am, then driving 120 miles to attend the class! Salt of the Earth type of guy right there!

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            John (Spinaker) thank's for coming to the BBQ Spring Training today. It was truly a fun time! I suggest more of you try to make next year if possible. Lots of fun and learning today!

Spinaker, Thanks For The Well Written Update! It Sounds Like They Did A Bang Up Job of It! Don't Worry About Next Year! I'll Stand on Top of You and Skip Before You Get In Ahead of "ME"! 👍👍👍👍👍. I'll Still Get Some Better Posts Up on ND Up Comings! Sorry You Didn't Get To Meet Me! 👹😈😇😈👹

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Make a Down Payment on the Beer and Likker! I'll Be There, Crick Don't Rise! Spin, Again Thank You, For The Excellant Update!
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Dan if you are going to stand on top of me - that's ok but if you want to stand on top of John aka Spinaker you best bring a ladder, he is taller than his picture shows! See you next year my friend!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Skip, Fair Warned Is Fair Armed! Kinda Like the Winner Always Brings a Gun to a Knife Fight! I'm still regretting Not Being There, Skip! I'll Bet if I had Registered When You First Posted It, I WOULD HAVE❓ MY BAD 😡!
            👍👍 SEE YOU👍SOON 👍👍

Just saw this thread. Will have to try to make it next year. Are any of you members of the society?

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not a member of the Society, just a curious home griller and cook. BTW it was a lot of fun!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I am a member. Just to support the cause, I only attend the Spring training.

Looks like something that I might be interested in. Keep us posted as to when & how.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Make the drive!!! I won't bite, I promise.

The Spring Training Workshop is Minnesota Barbeque Society's premier educational event. This year it will be held on April 14th at the University of Minnesota - Andrew Boss Laboratory of Meat...

Meathead is a guest this year!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone had better let him know!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Skip and I have Been Discussing This Off Site as Late as Today❗️ I don't do A-- Book but Thanks for the Link‼️

Spinaker, Skip, JCGrill, FireMan, SteinerBBQ, I Just Enrolled for the MNBBQSOCIETY SPRING TRAINING, 14 April 2018, To Be Held at Falcon Heights on Saturday❗️ Appears to Be a Full Day Schedule Starts at 7:30 AM until 4:30-5:00 PM w/Lunch Included‼️ I Look Forward to Meeting All My MN BBQ Buddies❗️ Maybe a Few From Elsewhere❓❓
          Fees are $175.00 for Non Members❗️
          $150.00 for MNBBQSOCIETY MEMBERS, MEMBERSHIP FEES ARE $25.00‼️
          Even this Backyard Cremator Can Do The Math❓ For $175.00 You Can Attend Spring Training, Have a BBQ Lunch, and Leave as a Card Carrying Member of the MNBBQSOCIETY❓❓ Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	152.0 KB ID:	448829Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	448828
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; February 2, 2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            See you there Dan!

wow...i could get my book signed

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Make the trip! It is gonna be fun!

Dang dang dang. Or other saltier language. I can't go. I'm going to be fishing the Rainy River that weekend. Too bad, that would have been awesome.

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel your pain JCGrill. We are signed up a trip to Savannah GA and the SE. Bummed too!!

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            ribeyeguy I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm after trophy walleye.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Bummer, it would have been great to get together with you guys, oh well there is always next year. JCGrill Skip

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here