Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoodoo Brown Barbecue School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoodoo Brown Barbecue School

A close friend lives 5 mins from this restaurant in Ridgefield, CT so when I learned they had classes, we just had to give it a try.

It was accessible to beginners, but also pretty good for an enthusiastic longtime member of this forum and watcher of many bbq videos.. There is something about hands-on that video just can't match.

Summary: each pair of participants got to prep/trim/rub a rack of spare ribs, a pork butt, and a brisket. After each meat prep, we went out to their smoker and got to see what it looks and feels like at different stages of cooking (wrap, pull, serve) using what they had put on the night before. All the stuff we prepped ultimately got cooked and served, so they were watching us pretty closely to make sure we didn't mess up!

Highlights for me:

* Getting to trim a packer with a true professional hovering and telling me how to adjust/correct.
    * Feeling (through butcher paper) what a wrapped brisket feels like when it's ready to pull.
    * Tons of interactive q&a on little details with some pros who are truly passionate about their bbq.
    * Learning to trim full spares without turning them all the way into St Louis.

Some interesting notes:
    * They don't dry brine...and when I asked about putting on rub in advance, they referred me to AmazingRibs.com! They put on rub (incl salt) 30-60 mins before cooking, they said they've experimented with this, and their preference is so strong that they wouldn't let us put rub on our class briskets bc they weren't going on the smoker until that evening.
    * They cook full spares, and actively prefer to St Louis.
    * They use a binder (oil) only on brisket.
    * They rest their meats for a very long time (at least compared to me!) after pulling, and thought that was important.
    * They target 250 on their (massive) smokers since they have all meats on at once and in different stages.

Would recommend to folks who are nearby...and happy to connect with anyone considering it who has questions. There wasn't anything that felt like a super secret technique you'd never heard of, but it is an honest window into how a quality restaurant prepares their bbq, with plenty of opportunity to ask any question you want.

I didn't take many pics...but here is one of brisket trimmed by the guy leading the demonstration, and one trimmed by me.

Attached Files

You're never too old to watch a new dog teach you new tricks.

Comment

Sounds like you had a good time!
      Last edited by Histrix; May 23, 2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

das85 Fun! Have you eaten there? Very interesting to hear that they don't dry brine but they hold for a long time. Did their rub have salt in it? Do you remember how long they say they hold their briskets?

Comment

• das85
          das85 commented
          Editing a comment
          I had eaten takeout from there...wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be learning how to make bad product! They also gave us sample bites at the end - I have to say eating their brisket 30 seconds after it was sliced was much better than after a drive home.

Yes their rub has salt in it. I will have to check my notes for hold time (I took many but don't have them handy)...I think something like 4-6 hours.

Sounds and looks like Fun.

Comment

That sounds like a class that I would enjoy.

Comment

It was kind of like show and tell, but more like I do you watch followed by you do I watch. When you get home you do.

Comment

• das85
              das85 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly this!

Wow, that looked like a great way to spend a day.

Comment

Looks like a good time

Comment

I’d like to hit one of these one day myself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here