Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Blankenhagen Adding to what Ed said, there might be a lot of local opportunities to learn knife skills and other culinary ones. Locally we have a multi-county community college with a culinary school. At night they provide culinary skill classes to the community. Each course lasts from a few weeks up-to about 8 weeks long for less than $100 for the whole session. Kathy took the bakery classes which were taught by a locally famous artisan baker and she can now bake like a pro. She has taken several others including desserts and my favorite was her soup classes. Aww, thats homework I really enjoyed.

With our local resident and senior discounts she paid around $50-$60 for eight weeks of classes per course. I’m sure they have a kitchen basics course for things like knife skills too.

Comment

I’m with you. I can cut and dice things but I’m really slow (and careful). Probably wouldn’t make it in a fast paced restaurant!

Comment

Originally posted by Rfhd69 View Post
        I’m with you. I can cut and dice things but I’m really slow (and careful). Probably wouldn’t make it in a fast paced restaurant!
        I actually think the Food Network stuff showing pros dicing up an onion in 5 seconds is kind of harmful. A pro can do that because they prep a stupid amount of stuff and they've been trained. At home... I'm dicing a single onion, hell, maybe only half of one. Speed doesnt matter that much.

Also, they have really sharp knives.
        Last edited by rickgregory; May 22, 2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Rfhd69
          Rfhd69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree

Lots of great advice and recommendations here. The two best pieces of advice I can give you is: #1 The sharper the knives, the easier and safer they are to use and #2 Don't let your pride get ahead of your skills. Watching people with good knife skills just blaze through prep is awesome, but it will take you time to get there - just slow down and focus on the mechanics and then speed will come.

Comment

Knife skills? I don’t need no stinkin knife skills!
          Knife school? I don’t need no stinkin knife school.
          Ya juss pull out a blade & start cuttin, yessir! Who gives a rip that ya nick yerself onced n’ awhile. Juss cut em Dano!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis