Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXPIRED - Discount On Alaskan Seafood From Sitka Salmon Shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXPIRED - Discount On Alaskan Seafood From Sitka Salmon Shares

Sitka Salmon Shares is a Community Supported Fishery (CSF) launched in 2011. A CSF is a members-based organization where you to purchase a “share” of the harvest of their independent, small-boat family fishermen. The concept was launched when several fishermen were motivated to sell their high quality catch direct to discerning consumers. They send sustainably harvested wild sablefish (black cod), line caught Sitka coho salmon, sashimi-grade albacore, pot-caught spot shrimp, Dungeness crab, and more, all seasonally caught and blast frozen and delivered to your doorstep. Monthly deliveries are 4.5 to 5 pounds per regular share over the subscription period.

I have been a paid subscriber since spring and I am VERY impressed with the quality (I was raised with a pole in my hand on Long Island and on both Florida coasts so I know good fish) which is why I asked them to make members an offer. The offer they are making us is a $25 discount when you enter the code Meathead25. The offer is good through Sept. 27, 2020. The basic monthly subscription is $129 before the discount, comparable to prices I pay for poorly handled fish at my local groceries and fish mongers.

Each shipment comes in a dry ice packed box in a nifty reusable insulated bag with a brochure about the fish and recipes. My recent share of salmon even included a special oversized tweezer for removing pin bones.

The catch is blast frozen. This is a superior method that reduces the amount of moisture loss. As you know, freezing creates ice crystals than can puncture muscle fibers and when thawed there is a lot of moisture loss. So far ALL of the fish I have defrosted had no more than two tablespoons of “purge” because blast freezing creates smaller less damaging ice crystals.

Certainly, there’s nothing quite like a fish, still quivering, from a fishing boat. But if you are anywhere beyond the immediate coast, truth is, you’re looking at AT LEAST five days before the fish gets to your market, even with modern air freight and overnight flights. According to SSS, more likely, it is eight days old. What that means is that your fresh fish is at the end of its shelf life by the time it gets to your grill. With fish, every day above freezing hurts! Frozen fish has a bad rap. That’s for good reason, but not because of the freezing process itself but because of the way it is frozen. According to SSS, "most frozen fish on the American market is twice frozen. It is frozen once on shore, shipped whole to a processor (often in China), defrosted, processed into fillets or other products, and then refrozen. At Sitka Salmon Shares, your fish is caught, and brought to shore, where it is filleted, portioned, vacuum-sealed, and blast-frozen. It can last for many months in your freezer with little decline in quality. For eaters raised to believe that fresher is better, that’s a hard concept to believe. But, in reality, a fillet of Sitka Salmon Shares fish caught in July and eaten in February is actually much fresher than fresh supermarket salmon." They claim it can be eaten raw.

Meet SSS co-founder Marsh Skeele in our September Happy Hour as he joins our panel on grilling and smoking seafood. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pitcast/virtual-happy-hour-internet-webinars/898241-join-us-tonight-for-our-zoom-happy-hour-on-seafood-7-30pm-ct-5-30pm-pt

For more info go to https://sitkasalmonshares.com

Can you name this fish breed?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Meathead; September 3, 2020, 09:31 AM.

Wow, this looks like a great deal! I'll be watching the happy hour tonight.

Comment

I’m gonna say sablefish.

Thanks for the post. I am going for it.

Comment

Is it OK to share this with non-AR members? My son and his wife would love this.

Comment

Lingcod. I'll be tuning in tonight....seafood is next on the list or me!

Comment

I actually considered their monthly subscription earlier this year. I guess now is as good a time as any to give it a shot with a discount.

Comment

Following. And thanks for this!

Comment

im gonna sign up for this to check it out. thanks Meathead and AR

Comment

I need to eat more fish, signing up. Thanks for this!

Comment

This is really cool. I never thought something like this would exist.

Comment

Thank you for this. I was thinking about it after @JoeSoussa Reviewed one of these services.

Meathead I pulled the trigger on this a few minutes after you posted it. Got me faster than the Billows when it came out.

I even tried to get a September delivery but they could not accommodate me. I’m looking forward to my first order. The seafood available around here to consumers is terrible so I’m really anxious.

Comment

Nevermind. Figured it out.
                        Last edited by zero_credit; September 10, 2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D46A5696-E4CC-4B10-A0CC-98CCDB62978B.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	921897
                          I thought I would show the box I received yesterday.

it was well packed (the princess and SWMBO unpacked it to play with the dry ice while I was at work.) and arrived unblemished and frozen as advertised. All the vac seals (pet peeve) were perfectly intact.

I am thawing some now in the fridge to cook tomorrow.
                          Meathead The fish looks fantastic. Not that glow in the dark mush at the supermarket and supposed local quality fish retailers who shall remain nameless.

I looking forward to eating it. Perhaps some scratch tortillas and a lil salsa. Maybe straight up.

I also prior to receiving this order re upped for 10 months next year as I was impressed with the company. Well their advertising and available info anyway.

cooked pics to follow in ( fzxdoc ) the “Fall” SUWYC thread.

Name:	AF400C2E-D8DB-4D2A-8FEE-23E6761CA721.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	921896

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Droolin in envy, Brotherman!!!
                            Deffos wanna hear what yer salsa fer such is gonna be...

Make It So, Number One!

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Heading there (Fall SUWYC topic) tout de suite , as they say.

K.

I received my first share box yesterday. It arrived well packaged in an insulated box with a big hunk of dry ice:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23e2.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	921940

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23e3.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	921938

Everything is packed in a smaller box, not just thrown in willy-nilly like some places do.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23e4.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	921943

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23e5.jpeg
Views:	406
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	921941

They even threw in a small wood plank. All the fish was frozen solid and the individual packaging was intact. This month's share was supposed to be all Coho, but ended up being 50/50 Coho and King and I ain't unhappy about that in the slightest.

Name:	IMG_5304.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	921942

The fish looks great, certainly better than the farmed crap from the supermarket. I've got a piece of Coho thawing to cook tomorrow. Overall I'm super happy I did this and I'll probably be signing up for next year.

Oh, and when you have a big hunk of dry ice this is obligatory:

Name:	IMG_5307.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	921939

Comment

• Meathead
                            Meathead commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Interesting. Mine came in an insulated canvas bag like those pizza delivery bags. Perfect for picnics. I just reordered for spring shipments. And no, I don't get freebies.

• mnavarre
                            mnavarre commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think the difference is whether Sitka does the delivery versus UPS delivering. Mine came via UPS.

• HouseHomey
                            HouseHomey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mine came UPS too. Yeah, I’m good with King salmon. Loved the look of the fish too.

Mine isn’t due for two weeks. Youse two got me droolin’!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis