Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXPIRED - WorkSharp Goes The Extra Mile for both Pitmaster Club Members and In Fighting COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXPIRED - WorkSharp Goes The Extra Mile for both Pitmaster Club Members and In Fighting COVID-19

Prior to the pandemic, I was speaking with Work Sharp about the new culinary series of sharpeners they recently introduced.

The Work Sharp Ken Onion edition belt sharpener is a Platinum award winner and if you have not already checked out Dave's review you can read about why it gets the highest honor at AmazingRibs.com here ==>> Work Sharp Ken Onion Review

This week I circled back with Work Sharp and learned that the Oregon based manufacturing facility has taken this time to at least temporarily re-tool operations in an effort to create Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) both for the local hospital and the counties disaster relief efforts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DarexDSC_5575-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	828676

In a written statement they told me:

"To date, the goal of the company has been to preserve our employees and their employment. We have not laid off anyone to date. Instead, we’ve reorganized our production and shipping layout to maintain the safe 6+ feet distance. We now have 2 shits, day/night so that we can keep working to provide our retailers with products".

I needed to hear this

I realized that with few exceptions it has been weeks since I'd heard a heartwarming story like this and this is one of the first from a manufacturer in the outdoor cooking space that's come to my attention.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DarexDSC_5533-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	828673

It's only been a few weeks now, but Work Sharp has done some really cool things so far.
    • The CEO has donated all of the N95 masks they had for the production team (around 200) to the local hospital
    • The Accounting team started sewing masks at home in their off time, and so far has made over 200 masks for the production team and for the community
    • The engineer and quality manager started printing portions of face shields for health care workers on their 3D printer. They have even partnered with local businesses to help with suppling other portions the face masks (Sign Dude and Talent Maker City)
    • They have reached out to their sourcing team overseas and plan to import and donate an additional 1000 n95 masks to first responders and medical entities in the local community
    So far they have been working closely with the county and their disaster relief organization to provide masks and face shields as needed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DarexDSC_5529-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	828674

I suspect as our temporary new normal continues to be a thing we will learn about more companies doing what they can to keep people employed but to give back however they can. I hope we see more from others in the culinary and outdoor cooking world do the same.

So what does this mean for me as an AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster Club member?

Work Sharp has a new line of sharpeners worth checking out.

They have created a Pitmaster Club Members discount code you can use for 30% off of the new Culinary line of sharpeners but also with the Platinum award-winning Ken Onion sharpener. The coupon code is valid sitewide and you can check out all the offerings at https://www.worksharptools.com/

They ask if you take advantage of this offer and are inclined to share what you are cooking (or sharpening) on social media that you use the #sharpmatters as a way of rallying some camaraderie around the importance of sharp knives and tools.

Use the code Meathead30 at checkout to take advantage of the 30% special offer.

Hopefully, this is a member benefit that many of you can enjoy.

Cheers- Paul

Click image for larger version  Name:	DarexDSC_5583-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	828677
    Attached Files
    Last edited by allsid; April 9, 2020, 02:50 PM.

allsid this is great! Really cool things the company is doing. I've been waiting to see a discounted price on the Ken Onion edition and now I can get one. Thanks again!

Comment

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it is of a benefit to you!

Thanks for posting! I’ve had my eye on the Ken Onion for a while. My former company (I just retired) is doing similar things as WorkSharp.

Comment

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome! I love these stories-

I love my original work sharp. I'm really intrigued by the new E5. I would have checked out, but the website says that meathead30 is not a valid coupon code

Comment

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      It just happened this morning so check back. I will see if I can get a hold of them too.

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      Code Meathead30 is now working

I have an E5 I got a couple months back but have never taken it out of the box or used it. Just haven't made the time. Guess it is time to bust it out so I can let you know what I think.

Comment

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      I use that M3 hone daily. It's awesome-

It's very heartenin to see them doin so much good in these troubled times, an I Salute them!

It is also very kind of them to offer us Th Pit Members such a great deal!
    Been droolin over th Ken Onion Edition fer some time, thinkin this might be th push I need.

Thanks, all round, Paul!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 9, 2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mr.Bones I recommend you pull the trigger on one. I have been a Lansky user for over 25 years and swore by Lansky. I got a WorkSharp Ken Onion edition about 3 months ago and it is fantastic. Razor, and I mean razor, sharp in 1/10th the time of using my Lansky. With The Pit discount this is a sure thing I doubt you will regret. IMO of course :-)

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, amigo! RustyHaines
      I really appreciate hearin yer experience, as I currently use a Lansky, when it's time; mostly I jus haveta take a steel to my knives...did my own, an many others on a stone, fer many, many years...both are very effective, but yeah, that takes some considerable time.

• Locotech
      Locotech commented
      Editing a comment
      great to hear the reviews, also a Lansky user. But at over $200 in Canadian bucks, I'll have ta sit with Lansky, some whiskey and Allman Bros. for a while yet.

Great story Paul, thank you for sharing!

Comment

I also tried the coupon code with no luck.

Comment

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        code Meathead30 is now working

This is a great story - I've wanted the Ken Onion sharpener for a long time, but these new sharpeners, the E2 and E5 might be a better fit if I want to use it in the kitchen, versus out in the garage. Wonder if those would be sufficient for my Victorinox Granton Blade 12" slicer.... no clue what angle edge came from the factory on that, but its sharp, and I need a sharpener at some point...

The big pay cut I took this pay period will sadly keep me limping along without one of these for a while longer. At least I have sharpening steels and whetstones...

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had my KO for at least 5 years and have used it on kitchen cutlery since day one. We keep band-aids in the kitchen now. 😁

Well I was holding out for a sale on the KenOnion but I rarely use my axe and I can do my lawn mower blades at work. Maybe that E5 is what I need... Will be buying 1 of the 2 in the next 24 hours so hopefully someone will have some good input on pros cons of either

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        E5 purchased, will use the savings to purchase replacement belts down the road I suppose. Either way, we always try to support companies that do good by their employees, and even my wife couldn't tell me why we shouldn't support this company

Kudo's!!

Comment

Code: Meathead30 is now working

Comment

The coupon code is working now!!! Thank you.

Comment

What do you guys think about the E2? Is it worth it, and will it sharpen my Victorinox slicer properly, along with the other lesser knives in the house, or do I want the belt driven unit - the E5 or Ken Onion one - instead?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              allsid Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got a bench grinder I can use to get lawn mower blades and such sharp enough on for what I need, so really just need something for knives. I can honestly say I’ve never sharpened a shovel in 54 years on this earth. I usually break the handle every 10-12 years, and go buy a new one...

Sounds like the E2 with that discount is the way to go now, while I am on a budget.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Check out the all-steel Fiskars digging shovel. Last one you'll buy. I too would break handles, except more like every 3 yrs, but this beast should be unbreakable.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.garrettwade.com/super-pe...en-shovel.html

I love hearing stuff like this!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis