Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco BBQ Knife deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco BBQ Knife deal

Any opinions on this knife sale that just began at Costco.com?

Looks good for the price. Googled Cangshan S Series 7-piece BBQ Knife Set.

Comment

I saw this set and wondered if it was good as well. Thanks for asking about it.

Comment

IME, knife sets are not all that great, and it’s better to buy knives individually, according to need.0

Comment

that's a nice set of knives for the price.

Comment

I think these may have shown up around here before.

With that...
            It’s kind of an odd set...
            It has what appears to be a slicer (but the size is not listed), a boning knife (useful, BUT is it stiff or flexible?), a "butcher" style (which I have almost zero use for, and I have a lot of knives), what looks to be a paring knife of some sort, and what can only be described as something nakiri-ish. And of course a fork. Personally, for ME, I’d pass.

I’m not a fan of sets in general. I think money could be better spent on a decent chef knife, a utility knife, and a paring knife. Those alone can handle darn near everything. After using those for a time...other shapes, sizes, handles, yada yada yada, will make more sense...and you’ll know pretty much what you’re looking for. And why. Like a slicer, or a bread knife, or a boning knife...you get the idea.

And as cool as some expensive knives are...it’s seriously not necessary to go crazy when shopping for the basics.
            A top rated Victorinox Fibrox chef’s knife is only like 30 bucks. Yes, it’s stamped rather than forged...but it always gets high marks from America’s Test Kitchen. And it’s easy to sharpen as needed. I purchased one for some friends that I knew wouldn’t care for their knives. I just sharpen it for them occasionally. It’s not pretty but it works. Mercer makes a fairly industrial 8” than can be picked up for 12 bucks. O_o Also decidedly not pretty, but works a treat...and I don’t care if one of my ham-fisted friends picks it up or it ends up outside by one of the grills. A forged Henckels Classic can be had for about $50.

Paring & utility knives are almost always less than a chef’s knife...so putting together a functional set for under $100 is not all that difficult. Specialty and/or "boutique" knives can always be added to compliment a basic but functionally sound set.
            Last edited by surfdog; February 19, 2021, 07:32 PM. Reason: Shpelling ;-)

Comment

• BBQPhil
              BBQPhil commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Very helpful advice. I have a couple of Mercer knives, including a pairing knife, and they are quite inexpensive, yet have worked well for me.

I'm sure they're decent, and if you find once you have purchased them that you don't like them, Costco has a great return policy

That said...I find it much more enjoyable to build, piece by piece, my own set.

Or, don't limit yourself, and get the set and a few more knives if/when you feel like the set needs something else 🤠

Comment

I like the selection of blade profiles. For the price I'm betting they are decent knives and with that nice case I'd buy them and keep them for use in the outdoor kitchen.
              The most important thing with any knives is keeping them sharp. Some steels will keep a sharp edge for longer periods of time than others but for most of us home cooks even modest steels are up to the job.

Comment

For the longest time I always sought out the most inexpensive value when it came to knives. I finally decided to move to high quality and absolutely love my Chef's knife, all purpose knife and cleaver. Because the blade of the cleaver is slightly curved it is my go-to for chopping veggies.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here