Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEB has Hatch Chilies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEB has Hatch Chilies

My local HEB has Hatch chilies (but no roaster - gotta DIY) for $37.00/ 25lb case ($1.48/lb). Hot or mild. I bought a case of each despite having ordered from hatch-green-chili.com

They are cheaper than the ones from hatch-green-chili.com but do not specify the variety, only "hot" or "mild." I'll be firing up the PK shortly and roasting them, trying to decide it I want to keep the hot and mild separate or blend them when I vacuum seal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3141.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	896768
    Last edited by 58limited; August 15, 2020, 05:02 PM.

I got some at HEB today and have them roasting right now

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum, ahm’a load me up on another 10#s Chargers (5 lbs. we’ve snarfed within 4 days, here, Done been thinkin might need to up my Throughput, much less Strategic Reserve Levels lol...

biding my time, until th HOT ones ripen...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 15, 2020, 08:23 PM.

Half done: it took nearly 3 hours to roast 25lbs on the PK. Tomorrow I'll fire up the kamado and the PK to cut the time down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3142.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	896874

Comment

50 cents/lb, limit 6 lbs. Between my wife & I we can get 12 lbs per day. Gotta love Hatch chili’s.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be sending the kids to the store at that price.

They get down to 3 lbs for $1 in another week or so. Just my luck - No kids.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        That is cheap enough to make shipping worth while, if I didn't already have a bunch I'd hit you up and send you an insulated container to fill.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I can send three down
        No return policy in effect

Got plenty last week at my HEB. They got the roaster tumbling right outside their door as usual. The whole store permeates with the goodness so there is no possible way to not buy a boat load, including the Hatch Bacon, Hatch cheese, Hatch burgers, Hatch soap, Hatch blinker fluid. Every isle Hatch. You can even get a Hatch carwash, and Hatch gas.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like life is oh so good, even if only fer a minute...

So good to see ya, Brother!!!!

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish our HEB had a roaster but roasting my own gave me an excuse to stand around outside drinking beer; as if I need an excuse for that

The Hatch blinker fluid is a game changer, my blinkers have never worked better.

Yep, got my supply pre- roasted couple days ago. One thing positive to say about August.

Comment

It’s chili roasting weekend at our house. We roasted 24 lbs today and netted 12 lbs of skinless stemless chili. We leave the seeds in. Tomorrow we have another 11 lbs to process.
        Attached Files

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I could just start eating that pile as is. Love Hatch chilies. I still have 25 lbs green and 25lbs red coming from hatch-green-chili.com. Hopefully it will all last until next season but I just opened my last bag of the 10lbs of Charger chilies I ordered last month, I'm going through them pretty fast.

We only buy the extra hot. I made a batch of pico today. Nothing better than fresh extra hot hatch chili.
        Are the chilies you get fresh or processed?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Randy-Phx; August 23, 2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Uh, this whole thread you have been posting in is about fresh hatch. Now give me your pico recipe!!

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought fresh and roasted them myself. That pico looks great.

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          It doesn’t last long. My wife & I will wipe it out the day it’s made, or for breakfast the next day. This batch is about gone.

6 medium - large Roma tomatoes
        4 green onions
        4 hatch green Chile’s, extra hot
        2 cloves of garlic, pressed
        cilantro, about 1/3 of a bunch
        salt to taste
        everything is finely chopped
        😋 Very simple

Comment

Never had Hatch chili’s. How do you use them? How hot are they?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            SavageSmoke They will taste similar to an Anaheim pepper (Anaheims originated from seeds transported from New Mexico to California about 100 years ago) and different cultivars go from mild to extra hot. I order the hot ones. Not as hot as jalapenos, never had the extra hot ones.

The soil and climate (terroir) of the Hatch Valley makes these peppers special (better flavor) and they are seasonal.
            Last edited by 58limited; August 23, 2020, 08:05 PM.

I use them in pico, jerky, hamburgers, salsa verde, just about anything.
          They can be really hot but the flavor is just so dang good. They’re addictive.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here