Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smartfoodservice and other wholesale suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartfoodservice and other wholesale suppliers

Another thread here spurs me to write this post. On the west coast (and Utah, Montana etc) there's a chain called Smart Food Service that used to be Cash & Carry (https://www.smartfoodservice.com/locations/ for locations) They target smaller restaurants etc and everything there is supersized because of that but they also sell to the public.

Why do I mention this? Two reasons:

First, we all go through some things like dry spices and some sauces a a pretty fast clip and buying those things in bulk can bring the cost way down. For example, I've seen people mention that they like Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Well the place near me sells it by the gallon (literally). Spices? About $6/lb. Aside from the cost aspect, it's also really nice to not continually run out and have to go to the store. Which brings me to...

Second, some of the things there are staples that don't go bad and in these Covid times when it's smart to not have to go out unnecessarily, you can grab say a gallon of canola oil etc.

My point is that I'd bet many of us (in the US at least) have places like this relatively near and that it's probably worth checking out to see if you can stock up, save and keep yourself a bit safer, too.

Another place to get "wholesale" food and equipment is Restaurant Depot. Theoretically you have to be a business to shop there, but the business does not have to be food related. I am an "employee" of my son's vitamin and cosmetics manufacturing business. In addition, KCBS members can shop by showing their KCBS membership and I have heard (but not verified) that the general public can shop on a "day pass" because of the current situation with shut down restaurants. Here's a couple of prices as of today: Brisket $2.79; chuck roll $3.25; eye of round $2.88; and whole boneless rib eye $9.91. All are what they call "Superior Angus Beef" which is their trade name and is purported to be the top 2/3 of choice. Another plus is that each label contains the "pack date" making figuring wet aging time more convenient.

I'm not trying to be an advertisement for them, but I have been shopping there for several years and never been disappointed.

Comment

What strikes me is that there's all the other stuff you can get. For example, Costco has 25 oz mixed nut containers for ~$16. Decent deal. But Smartfoodservice? $10. For 32oz.

I wouldn't stock up on perishables there being single, but for non-perishables? Decent prices and it's also nice not to have to go out for staples in this fun, COVID economy.

Comment

I very much appreciate yer postin this link, amigo!

I typically go through stuff in bulk quantities, but at present, with everything shut down, I'm busier than a one legged man at an arse-kickin contest, makin takeout, or delivery...in addition to a full time job...
        Me candle's burnin down some...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 4, 2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Here's hope'n you get some down time over the 4th.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here