Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good price on Picanha if you want a lot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnec00
    replied
    Used a few of the picanha steaks last night. Cut steaks, salted, SV'd 3 hours at 135º, patted dry, seared and ate. Took a few pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170674.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	849393

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	849394

Name:	SV.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	849395

Name:	P5190698.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	849396

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	849397

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    I don't have much use for I-drive either, but I live about 5 miles west of there and only have to travel about 100 yards on I-drive to get to Seabra.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    You sure you’re not mixing this up with TAXI?

• Andrrr
    commented on 's reply
    And here I am wishing I could find either!

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    CAB here is Meh... I grind it.

Graded CAB???

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman I Grind Tri Tip.

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    Yea, there's a real difference between the Republic of Texas and tourist trap lando. The only place I've seen the CAB branded beef around here is Restaurant Depot, and then only selected cuts. Prime is only available at high priced retailers, then I've found it much better to order on-line from someplace like Double 8, Jimmy P's or Meat N Bone at not much higher price. Local farm stores are great for pork and poultry, but essentially all of them handle grass fed beef exclusively.
    Last edited by johnec00; May 19, 2020, 01:17 PM.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I just saw it priced at 12.99 a lb, even cheap in our area is 9.99

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Certified Angus Beef is generally supposed to be upper choice, lower prime. I can tell you that the meat cutter I buy my beef from orders CAB exclusively and it's as good as most prime I see in the grocery or big box stores.

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    Isn't CAB choice?

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to disagree Troutman it also makes great burgers and at $2.00 a pound less than I can get chuck to grind into burger, why not? Of course, around here picanha is common in all the grocery stores, so easy enough to get for grilling. I only grill picanha hot and fast, churrasco style. I consider making a roast out of it a waste of good meat.

• Troutman
    replied
    I generally buy CAB Picanha in two or three packs for $5.99/lb so the price shown, even at choice quality is very good. Since there's very little fat in the cut (outside the fat cap) I don't think the grading is that big a deal. I'd buy that all day long and skewer or roast. Wish I was closer to you !!!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Dudes, that's Picanha. You don't denigrate it by making burgers out of it. It cooks up better than Tri-tip and just as tender.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    My freezer is so stuffed, I can't take advantage of the sale. But I have in the past. I just can't stand I - Drive.

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    Yes sir! These make great ground beef even at the regular price. Very easy to control the fat content from near zero to ~ 20% depending on what you want. Plan right now is to cut a nice thick steak out of several of the thick ends, grind some for burgers and use about half for hot dogs. We've recently got into home made hot dogs as the doc is on my a$$ about sodium, and I love hot dogs. Home made <<< salt.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here