Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBB sale dates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBB sale dates?

I've seen posts about stocking up when KBB goes on sale. When does that usually happen?

I’ve found it goes on sale when I don’t have $100 to spend on stocking up on charcoal.

Comment

Should be Memorial day weekend. I'm getting a little low and this sale is what I'm waiting for. I buy about 10-15 double bags.

Comment

It goes on sale 2-3 times a year. Always Memorial Day, end of May, Labor Day, beginning of September. Then I have started to see it on sale before the 4th of July. I have usually found it at Lowes and Home Depot.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said - those 3 weeks or weekends.

Kidding aside they are right on the timing but the sale prices, at least around here, aren’t even close to what they used to be (40lbs/$10)

Comment

In years past it used to go on sale several days, maybe even a week, prior to the 3 main summer holidays, at Home Depot, Lowe's, and sometimes even Wal-Mart and Meijer too. Last year however, it seemed to go on sale the day before or maybe the day of the holiday and only lasted what seemed like 3 days. It wasn't as generous of a timeframe as in years past. Who knows what this messed up year's situation will be.

I save this link in my browser's favorites: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfor...2107/307596627 it's the direct link to the Kingsford twin packs at Home Depot online. I start checking it daily a week or so before the holidays. I hope the link works for you in case you find it useful, not sure if it will give you only my store's location or not.

And now that I read Andrrr words, it does seem like last year the sale was not 50% off like in many years past, but there was still a discount.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Link wired to my HD app. 253 in stock 2/20lbs $19.99

I seem to remember passing on the deal last year and buying at Costco instead. Competition coal???

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Just picked up 6 at that price. Not sure if it will go down in the next few days since it is so close to the holiday.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            My local had like 125, vs 2x dat th embers stuff, this started last Mem Day; new this year is a limit of 10 KDD 2 packs...

Don't hold your breath on a sale of anything in the month of May due to Covid-19. For all we know they may have shut down operations during the stay at home policies, unless of course they were considered "essential" (as we all know they are !!)

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I am not expecting much either. All my normal spots around town that I monitor for meat sales are certainly not putting meat on sale- if they have it they are charging more. So I sure don't expect charcoal to go to half price this year.

Lowes had them for $16.50 last week, the twin pack that is. I picked up a pack because I am down to a few briquettes. And this sale ends on May 12, today. Will be interesting to see if they go on sale again for less in a few weeks.

Comment

I know this question is about Kingford briquettes, but if you're okay with using Royal Oak briquettes, I found "two packs" for $8.88 (40 lb total) at our local Walmart this past weekend. I haven't used RO, so I'm curious how they compare to KBB.

Comment

• crazytown3
              crazytown3 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think RO briquettes are fine. It's the Embers briquettes that I have a problem with. I think Embers look similar to RO, maybe made the same?? but IMO they are noticeably inferior.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              crazytown3 I completely agree regarding Embers. I got a bunch of bags on clearance 2 years ago for $1.90 per bag. If they were 100% fully lit they were OK for basic grilling. They left a ton of ash and the smoke the produce while heating up absolutely stinks. I was mostly using them as kindling for my offset to get the wood fire going.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the Royal Oak briquettes but they are the shortest burning charcoal for my cooks in the SnS on the kettle - 5 to 6 hours on a load, versus 7-8 for KBB, 10 for B&B lump and 12+ for Weber. They have a more natural wood smoke smell when lighting than KBB, and I will use them for rib cooks or shorter cooks.

I’m down to 1/4 bag of KBB and burning FOGO waiting for a sale.

Maybe Clorox will loosen up the purse strings a bit seeing as their Pandemic products are all the rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              In years past it used to go on sale several days, maybe even a week, prior to the 3 main summer holidays, at Home Depot, Lowe's, and sometimes even Wal-Mart and Meijer too.
              Ah - memories. I moved from Michigan to Utah in 1977. Been years since I saw that name in print. We used to have a Fred Meyer here but they closed up shop in my area several years ago.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I much prefer Meijer to Walmart, glad we have them.

• dubob
                dubob commented
                Editing a comment
                My Mother retired from the one in Lowell in the 1990s. The Lowell store was the last one I ever shopped in on a visit back to visit Mother before she passed in 2009. I would agree they are better than Walmart for shopping.

Our local Meijer has lousy selection of charcoal and lousy prices. Outside of clearance deals or the KBB holiday sales I've found Walmart to be the best place to purchase charcoal when I'm in a pinch. 2 summers ago, not only did Lowe's and Walmart have the KBB sale leading up to Memorial Day and Labor Day, they also re-ran the sale leading up to Father's Day and the 4th of July.

Comment

I just got two 18-pound bags from Walmart for $17.87. There was a rollback.

Comment

My local Costco just advertised a sale this week on their web site.

Comment

BJ's wholesale has the pro version on sale from time to time.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Costco as well but not on sale last time I looked.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here