Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Oak Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Oak Charcoal

I am down to my last bag of KBB & was looking to see if there were any sales on it yet. I ran across Royal Oak 15.4 lb bags at Lowes for $1.99. I have never used this brand but at that price it looks too good to pass up. What is everyones opinion? I tried to upload the link hopefully it works.(my last post on here I did not reference the link correctly)...

Shop Royal Oak 15.4-lb Charcoal Briquettes for Grills and Smokers - Special Ridges for Peak Performance in the Charcoal & Accessories department at Lowe's.com. Our signature Royal Oak charcoal with unique ridge shape. Perfect for fast starting, long burning barbeques.

I've used it several times, don't have any issues bout usin it again...
    I feel that regular RO gave me good performance, no off tastes, an was a great bang per buck charcoal.

I regularly use their Hickory charcoal, instead of KBB in my smaller cookers/quicker cooks; it brings a lotta flavour to th table, in those scenarios...

That's a really good price, I'd git ya some, see what ya think.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 12, 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Pretty much all I buy in this neck of the woods but can't find it that cheap.
      I'd be buying $50 worth.
      Never tried KBB its triple the price of Royal Oak.

Comment

I've never used Royal Oak briquettes, but I use their lump pretty much exclusively. I can buy a 30 lb bag of it for ~$15 at Walmart. It burns hot and relatively clean with minimal ash.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Me, too, on the lump.

I found that exact same charcoal on clearance at Lowe's back in late January. I purchased 14 bags and have gone through a little less than 4 (I burn other brands of charcoal as well). I like it. It heats up quickly and doesn't have any off flavors. At $1.99 per bag purchase....well....ALL of them. I'm not joking.

Comment

I just opened a bag last week. IMO it is interchangeable with KBB. Get as much as you can for $2/bag.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally I think RO has a better flavor profile than KBB.

All, thanks for the input, I will stock up on some today...

Comment

I like RO Briquettes. IMO they do burn a little hotter and don't last quiet as long as KBB but as far as flavor goes I couldn't tell much of a difference. I use RO for a hotter cook like chicken. At that price I would stock up and never look back!!!

Comment

Never had good luck with the stuff. Every bag I have ever got is a lot of small pieces and dust. I pass on that stuff every time I see it.

Comment

• JeffJ
                JeffJ commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you talking about their lump charcoal? I agree with you regarding their lump charcoal but what TA29 is talking about is their classic briquettes.

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                For the most part I find the same with Royal Oak but seeing as its pretty much the only game in town at an affordable price.
                The briquettes are I don't mind except for the garbage left in the ashes, nails, wire, stones, glass....

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhhhh, yes, I was talking about their Lump, my bad. I almost never use briquettes, except for the PBC. JeffJ

On sale here in the Midlands of South Carolina also. Anyone with any experience on using RO in a PBC as that is what mine would be used in?
              The OmegaDog

Comment

Originally posted by TA29 View Post
                I am down to my last bag of KBB & was looking to see if there were any sales on it yet. I ran across Royal Oak 15.4 lb bags at Lowes for $1.99. I have never used this brand but at that price it looks too good to pass up. What is everyones opinion? I tried to upload the link hopefully it works.(my last post on here I did not reference the link correctly)...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Oak-O...tes/1000175405
                I've purchased the Royal Oak briquettes at Lowe's in the past, when they were on sale, and like the aroma they produce better than KBB - its a less chemical and more wood smoke smell while lighting them. The only negative thing I have to say about Royal Oak briquettes is that I only get a burn time of 5-6 hours in the SnS with a full load of Royal Oak, versus 7-8 for KBB, 10ish for B&B lump, and 12+ for Weber briquettes. So I don't use Royal Oak for overnight cooks, but would use it about any other time.

For the price Royal Oak is about the best deal you will find.

Comment

If you like KBB and others like it, snag it all up at that price!

About a year ago, I bought a couple of bags of that same RO at Lowes to test. As part of that I called and emailed Royal Oak to eventually ferret out that they this bag is the typical offering and not all natural.

I personally no longer buy RO, KBB or any briquettes that are not all natural. KBB, Royal Oak and many others contain sawdust, wax, accelerants and way too many fillers to suit me.

If I am going to spend the money on good meat coupled with the time and effort to cook, the cost of the charcoal for a cook becomes small in the shadow of all that. Not to say I don't try to find B&B at the best price. I usually buy it at Academy at an attractive price but recently had to resort to a much higher price curbside at the Ace due to the pandemic.

Comment

I only use RO now KBB has made so many changes to there briquettes that you can't be sure what you are getting. I will say that it doesn't burn as long as some others, but for $1.99 I can afford to add some extra to keep the heat up.

Comment

I'm a royal oak guy, love the stuff. Especially their two fer deal at Wal-mart for $8.88, 2 x 20lbs bag. Also, their All Natural is great in my ceramic. Nothing against Kingsford, I just started years ago using RO and never saw a reason to use another.

I will also use KBB, B&B (which is my 2nd fave) and other lump brands, but RO is the one that is consistent and easily available for me.

Comment

That's a heckuva deal, snag it up! Me I have used it in the past but don't remember much about it, but the community here seems to really like it! I use KBB exclusively because I find it is continually as expected and avail everywhere, and for lump I use Fogo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here