Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt MB20051316 MPS 340G XL 40-inch ThermoTemp on Woot! for $239.99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt MB20051316 MPS 340G XL 40-inch ThermoTemp on Woot! for $239.99

So I was looking for a gasser, and since AmazingRibs.com reviewed this and Max gave it a Platinum rating, and the price was the best I could find, by far, I decided to pull the trigger. Also, found that if you order TODAY, (12/14), and only through the phone app, you get an additional 14% off on top of that, bringing the price to an unbeatable $205.00. This is a damn good deal, I think.

That's s great deal. I really love mine, although I've only got a couple of cooks in it and it's at my vacay house which is closed up until at least the Spring. I think people's experiences with it have been mixed. The assembly is a PITA, but there's a good assembly video on YouTube. Make sure you fully seat and tighten the flame sensor when assembling it. Use a wrench. If you don't, it won't stay lit and you'll be thinking it's defective. Also, use a remote thermometer with an ambient probe and use that to adjust your temperature setting knob. The scale on the knob can be considerably off. Good luck with it and let us know what you think!

Comment

• NoFatNoFlavor
      NoFatNoFlavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Max mentioned the assembly in the review but thanks for the specifics on the sensor and need for knob calibration. You're right, I would have thought I got a lemon. I will indeed post my experiences with it. Glad yours have been positive; it gives me hope.

at 205$ you cant go wrong!

Comment

Pulled the trigger on this, wish I saw it yesterday for the extra 14% off, still a deal. Thanks!!!

Comment

I just got one of these for my birthday. The "Amazing Ribs" review says "Close the sliding air damper at the upper-back of the cabinet to hold in smoke and moisture. Open it to release moisture for jerky and crisping poultry skin." But I find that I cannot completely close the sliding air damper. It has four vertical slots and the damper closes just two of them. If I want more smoke, should I block two of them, or should two of them always be open? (Also, Dewesque55 is absolutely right; if you don't take a wrench to that sucker, it won't work! Wish I'd read his post a little sooner. You hate to think something's defective after spending all afternoon assembling it!)

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think you can complete block them or you won't get any airflow. Then you're likely to starve the fire and the flame will go out.

Congrats!

Comment

It is not possible to close the damper completely.
          After getting it put together yesterday, and that took quite awhile My added comments are:
          There is no gasket around the door, I imagine this will leak smoke like crazy, was this them being cheap, or intentional?
          I found the materials to be rather "cheap", thus the cost...
          Will do a burn-in later today....

Comment

Place a small strip of aluminum foil over the thermostat or it will get gunky very quickly. It is a bear to clean safely. Do not wrap around the thermostat, just over it. That way you do not block it. I have been thinking of placing the foil strip on the rack that goes just above the thermostat. The idea is just to keep drippings, etc. off the thermostat.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I read this somewhere before I started using mine. I do it every cook. Good advice from SmokingSteve

and....sold out

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here