Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS original for $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS original for $60

Just noticed my email that the SnS original is back for $60 right now and it has me interested. Aside from the removable water slot which isn’t a big deal to me is the bottom of the charcoal holder on 2.0 really worth the extra $40? It doesn’t seem like the tiny pieces that I’d lose that fall through the grate would make that big of a difference but maybe it does. Hopefully a few of you have some experience with both. Thanks in advance!

Me personally, I've always preferred the old Original. No bottom grate except your grill's, very easy to stir and drop the ash during a cook.

Comment

I have both. In practice there is no difference between the two.

Comment

I only have the original, but I've always considered the 2.0 "upgrades" to be more like downgrades in my opinion. The original is perfect.

Comment

This is the description of the 2.0 from the SNS website:

"Slow ‘N Sear® 2.0, now with 50% more searing power than our Slow ‘N Sear® Original, takes backyard grilling and smoking in a charcoal kettle to the next level, AGAIN! Turn a "basic" Weber kettle into the most versatile outdoor cooking machine on the market – indirect slow cooking, high heat searing, roasting, baking…you can have it all with Slow ‘N Sear®!"

What would give the 2.0 "50% more searing power" ??

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            What he said ^, because that means more space for searing coals.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, that makes sense

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I see how removing the water pan would provide more searing area and power but 50% seems like an aggressive number. Not worth worrying about as I really only plan on using this for small smoke sessions vs firing up the 22 WSM.

I wonder if its made from the new grade of metal in the 2.0 or the original metal from the 1.0. I really like my 1.0

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully Dave himself pops in and can answer. I'm far removed from it i can't answer myself anymore.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah the 1.0 is super heavy duty.

• TNPIGBBQ
            TNPIGBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            From the website: " 5+ lbs of heavy gauge stainless steel; it will last longer than your kettle"

I’m guessing it’s still the same gauge metal.

I have the original and I love it.

Comment

Low profile ever coming back?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I do wish Dave would do a limited release of the low profile SnS for the WSCGC. I use mine all the time. It's part of a satisfying kettle experience on a WSCGC. I keep looking for one for you, Old Glory , hoping to see a used one for sale somewhere.

There are some workarounds that I've heard of for using the regular SnS, like modifying the grate position.

Kathryn

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Thank you so much! I found one in Europe but they won't ship to the US. The other option is cutting my XL down but I need to find a metal shop that can do it. I have been using the Vortex a lot and that has been great. Though the shape of the S&S is better.
              Last edited by Old Glory; December 7, 2019, 08:58 AM.

David Parrish ^

Comment

link?

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Should have included that

• SavageSmoke
                SavageSmoke commented
                Editing a comment
                fuzzydaddy Andrrr thanks for this thread! I scored one

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve been trying to convince myself all week I don’t need one. I will undoubtedly place my order for one before the Friday deadline

Well guys this throws a wrench in everything. The $60 ends tonight but now there’s the $100 for SnS 1.0 plus griddle deal. So now the question becomes is the griddle worth $40? Honestly I don’t see myself using it as a griddle, just the drip pan. Would it look cool? Absolutely. Do I need it? Well that’s up to you guys to persuade me.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I use mine as a griddle more than a drip pan. I just spread foil down on the charcoal grate tight to the walls and the SnS as a drip catcher, roll it up and toss, no cleanup. I think it's a nice tool to have for either purpose though.

the $60 deal is back

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                Saw that but thanks for reminding me. Actually I don’t think it ever went away. Even with everyone talking so highly of it I still am hesitant. I really just need to suck it up and buy the thing already.

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                I took advantage of this. Now I've got 1.0 and 2.0 - one for each Weber!

Well I finally ordered the 1.0 and I can’t wait for it to get here. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to make first.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here